End of the Storm

Today was the big day. Today was the day one way or another, the Storm of the Downpour Defenders would end.

Today was the day Albert would take the world in his hands and bend it to his distorted, frightened, and misguided desires.

Albert gripped Stormbringer, he thought about what Pearl said as he walked towards the exit of the train station. He thought of all the good he had done, as despite his pride and delusions, he did mean well, and did his best to help others who didn't wish to fight.

But Albert was no longer helping people, he was only hurting himself.

What Pearl had told him about stopping those you love, about how he's wrong but there's exceptions...

Could he save Dedf1sh? Should he? If he went to save her, would it be what was best for her, or another act guided by pride and fear.

He sent Dedf1sh a text, a simple question. He was afraid of her answer, maybe that was why he had never asked before, because if she said yes, that meant he couldn't save her. Ever. It would kill the ember of hope that held him together.

But Pearl's words echoed in his mind as he looked at the text he had sent her. "Are you happy?"

He had gotten no reply yet.

He decided to turn his attention to the task at hand, taking the Great Zapfish. He could overhear Cara giving a rousing speech to the Grizzco employees, one of which turned to look at Albert, before being nudged by the worker next to them.

In preparation, Albert, to prevent panic attacks, used the Radio Tower to blast #20 Torrent on every station.

Everything had fallen into place perfectly, as far as he knew.

Cara turned to face him and gave some order he couldn't hear before she walked up to him, "Hey Albert! You got a second?"

Albert nodded, "Yeah what's up?"

Cara explained, "So, look, I was just thinking, you're not fit to rule, and your whole never let people choose thing seems like a bad idea. We've done a lot of good but, I think we should cancel this attack."

Albert shook his head, "Quit and do what Cara? I have nothing. I am going to win."

"You're just lashing out in pain at this point," Cara stated sternly, "And you know it. It's time to stop Albert."

Albert then noticed that the Grizzco employees were using a different shade of blue ink. It's then it dawned on him what Cara had said.

They had orders to splat him.

"So that's how it is?" Albert demanded.

Cara pleaded, "Please. Stand down. Dedf1sh wouldn't want to see you destroy yourself like th-"

"WHAT WOULD YOU KNOW ABOUT HER!?!" Albert snapped, "DON'T TRY TO LECTURE ME ABOUT WHAT SHE WANTS!"

"Albert you're scared I get it," Cara pleaded, "But if you just stand down things can return to normal. If you just stand down, we can help you. You love us as family right? You can trust us. Please. Stand down. We can help you. Maybe we can even help Dedf1sh. You want to see her again, right?"

Albert glared, "You think it's that easy? Just go down there and save her? What if she doesn't wanna be saved?"

"Do you really believe that or are you just to scared of the idea that you left her waiting?" Cara demanded, "It's not your fault. You didn't know better. Come on. Drop your weapons and just let all this go."

Albert didn't answer, but, like a cornered dog, he continued to lash out, readying Stormbringer...

"Sorry Albert," Cara sighed. "This is for your own good. Terry take the shot."