Chapter 2

[TW: This chapter contains self-harm]

After a short walk, I ended up at the entrance to my grandfathers house. I knocked on the door a couple of times and waited for it to be answered. While I waited, I looked around me and noticed the farm had not been attended to in quite some time. There was overgrown grass, logs, stones and trees everywhere. It was beautiful in its own way. I am sure my grandfather was much too old to take care of this farm by himself. 

My attention was drawn back to the front door as my grandfather appeared with a large grin. "Emma, my dear granddaughter. Welcome home." I smiled and reached forward to embrace him. "How have things been, grandpa? I see your farm is a bit messy." I giggled looking behind me. He continued to grin as he motioned me inside. "You see, there comes a time in your life in which you realize you are unable to perform the way you did when you were younger. Don't get me wrong, I am always more than happy to put in some hard work. But I am leaving it up to someone else to take care of."

Visiting my grandfather was always a lovely experience. He was always so welcoming and glad to see me. Visiting him was like a breath of fresh air. His house always smelled of blueberry tart. It was something my grandmother used to bake when she was around. Still, it smelled like it today. I see the tradition stuck around.

My grandfather and I sat on his small couch and discussed what had been going on in our lives. I updated him about my position at the hospital and how dreadful it had become. His face turned to sorrow as I explained to him where I was at in my mental state. I never was one to really open up to others about my feelings, but something was telling me that I should let my grandfather know of my thoughts.

"Emma, my very special granddaughter..." He whispered, putting an arm around me and pulling me closer. "I want you to have this sealed envelope." He pulled out an envelope from his pocket and handed it to me. I examined it and its purple seal. I looked at him briefly before rushing to open it. "No, no, don't open it yet... have patience." He said, putting his hand onto mine and lowering it. I placed the envelope down and studied his face. "Now, listen close." He stated. "There will come a day when you feel crushed by the burden of modern life and your bright spirit will fade before a growing emptiness. When that happens, my girl, you'll be ready for this gift." His words struck me as I became speechless. He began to smile again as he pulled me in for a hug. "Don't worry, Emma. I trust you will know the right thing to do." Little did he know I was already feeling exactly what he described. 

After my grandfather and I talked for some time more, I looked at my watch and realized it was 7 pm. "I better get going, grandpa. It is a long ride back to Zuzu City." I said standing up from the couch. He stood up after me, guiding me to his front door. "If you must." He stated, smiling down at me. We embraced once more before I walked out the door. The sun was nearly setting, casting a glowing red and purple across the sky. Maybe life can be beautiful sometimes. I took one more deep breath before heading home. 

------------------

Once I reached my apartment it was close to 11 pm. I was exhausted and knew I had a shift at 6 am tomorrow. I debated if I should call in or not. I was feeling depressed, more than usual, likely because I do not take my medication on a regular basis. I walked into the bathroom and glanced at my appearance. There were large, dark circles under my eyes despite applying concealer. I really was tired. Tired of work and tired of life. It felt as if I was drowning in a wave pool and could not re-surface. And what did I do when I felt overwhelmed with life? I hurt myself. I quickly took a small familiar blade from my bathroom drawer did what I needed to do. It was enough to release the tension that was pent up in my chest. I only do this to manage my pain. Or so I tell myself. 

I cleaned myself off afterward and immediate guilt rushed over me. I know I should be better and listen to my doctor by taking my medication and using my safety plan when I am feeling overwhelmed. But there is a part of me that feels like I don't want help.

I thought back to what my grandfather told me earlier. Maybe my bright spirit was fading. Maybe him giving me that envelope today was just what I needed to make it through to the next day. I shuffled back into my living room and searched my small backpack for the envelope. I know it is probably too soon to open it, but I just couldn't wait any longer. I needed to know if there was something that could bring me out of this abyss. I tore the envelope open slowly and began to read.

"Dear Emma,

If you're reading this, you must be in dire need of a change.

The same thing happened to me, long ago. I'd lost sight of what mattered most in life...real connections with other people and nature. So I dropped everything and moved to the place I truly belong.

I've enclosed the deed to that place... my pride and joy: Havens Farm. It's located in Stardew Valley, on the southern coast. It is the perfect place to start your new life.

This was my most precious gift of all, and now it's yours. I know you'll honor the family name, my girl. Good luck.

Love, Grandpa.

P.S. If Lewis is still alive say hi to the old guy for me, will ya?"

Tears began to form in my eyes as I read the letter. It was truly the last thing I expected. A deed to thee actual Havens Farm? All for me? I can't imagine running an entire farm by myself. It seemed like such a hardship I did not want to battle. My grandfather put so much trust in me to continue on the family name. I sighed deeply, knowing what I must do.