Chapter 7

I woke up to the sound of rustling leaves. A light breeze danced on my face, causing my body to shiver. My eyelids opened and I realized it was still dark outside. I was lying flat on a patch of grass. I couldn't exactly remember what happened but I knew I was last in the Stardrop Saloon. Drunk. Likely making an absolute fool of myself. I had hoped to Yoba that the rest of the town would forgive and forget.

I sat up from the ground and surveyed my surroundings. I probably sat up too fast as my head immediately began to pound. I noticed I was in Cindersnap Forest right outside Marnie's. How did I end up here? I must've tried to go home and ended up passing out here. I might as well finish the journey. Almost made it home anyway.

I was very forgiving with my movements as I stood up slowly. Waking up after wine drinking was a different type of headache. I made my way back to my farm. I was absolutely going to sleep in tomorrow. Or today. Whatever day it was. I said goodnight to my two chickens as they nestled together in the coop. How lucky they must be to have each other. I sluggishly made way to the front of my cottage.

Drinking alcohol always made my depression worse. I should have learned this by now. It didn't help that I haven't been taking my medication. I left those back at my apartment in Zuzu City. However, being out here in Stardew Valley made me feel a certain type of happiness I haven't felt before. Why take medication when you're happy? I'm sure I was fine to continue going un-medicated.

Plopping down on my bed, I began to drift back into sleep.

———

I slept soundly before I woke up in a cold sweat. It was about 10 am and I was very late for my daily chores. I sat up and looked outside, relishing in its beauty. It won't be beautiful for much longer if I don't take care of my plants. 

After making my bed, I took a hot shower to wash off the night before. Memories slowly started coming back to me. I remembered it was Shane's birthday and I had bought him Pepper Poppers. I wondered if he appreciated that I even did that gesture. From what I remembered, I had actually seen him smile for the first time. Even though it was a small smirk, it was something I was proud of bringing to his face. And it was something I was hoping to continue bringing. 

My chores didn't take long to finish since it was nearing the end of Spring. Summer crops were soon coming thankfully. I had always loved the warmer weather. It was a bit embarrassing to wear short sleeves, however, given the multiple cuts on my arms. I hope no one will take notice of them. I'll just have to be careful covering them up.

As I watered the last of my plants, I turned around to barely see a figure approaching my farm. After a long stare down, I had noticed it was Shane in his bright blue sweatshirt. I looked down at my overalls and noticed how dirty I had gotten from doing chores all morning. He can't see me like this! The last person I wanted to see was coming to see me. Or was he just passing through? I began to muster up all the courage I had to remain out of my anxious head.

I put down my watering can and began to walk toward my cottage. I pretended not to notice him approaching, trying to avoid glancing in his direction.

"Emma, hey." I heard his deep voice behind me. I took a deep breath and turned around to see Shane standing there in all his glory. I swayed my long braid over my shoulder and smiled. "Now what brings you over here?"

Shane shuffled a bit, placing his weight on his right side. He crossed his arms and looked down at his feet. It obviously appeared he was uncomfortable. "I wanted to check on you after last night. You were really drunk." He said. Somehow I heard some concern behind his voice. 

My face began to heat up. "Does Shane have a caring side to him?" I teased, poking his shoulder. Shane's face immediately turned red and he looked down to hide it. "No. I was just curious to see if you were still alive. And clearly you are." He turned to walk away. He obviously doesn't like to joke around. "Shane, wait." I spurted out. 

He turned around and gave me a glare. Maybe he would know how I got to Cindersnap forest. "I woke up last night on the grass in front of Marnie's. Do you know how I got there?" I questioned. Shane shrugged his shoulders. "How would I know? I was at the saloon most of the night." I thought for a moment before replying. It was around noon and I was getting quite hungry from working. "Hey, do you want to stay for lunch?" I asked, hoping somewhere in his heart he would say yes. Shane laughed. Laughed. It brought a smile to my face. I wasn't sure how it was funny but hearing him laugh for the first time made my heart flutter. "No. I need to help Marnie at the ranch." He said, starting to walk away. He stopped in his tracks and turned around again. "Also, thanks for the birthday gift. That was...nice." His arm raised and he waved, trudging off. "See you around." Shane hollered.

Well, it was worth a shot asking him. Even though he laughed at my question. Guess I will have to find a way to make him say yes. I was more determined now than ever to befriend Shane. My disliked feelings for him were pushed aside when I realized my infatuation was turning into a small crush.