XVI | slug club

I would note that Slughorn was the one collecting Tom, as he does others such as myself, if I hadn't known the character Tom truly was.

--

The following weeks seemed to blend together yet there were plenty of reasons why that posed no interest of mine.

Other than the Slytherin house members practically gluing themselves to my side, forcing me to sit with them everywhere, trying to add me in every conversation, Malfoy being the worst of them, every other house seemed to truly despise me. So much for Hogwarts pride.

Unfortunately, my earlier predictions had been correct; the mixture of a Slytherin member and a new transfer none the less gave no interest to the fellow students. The fact that the Slytherins would constantly brag didn't help either.

Yet I believe the worst part of it all is the belief going around that I'm an extremely skilled witch. I mean, I'm not the worst in the bunch but my high academics and the experience in the duel against Tom certainly did much to convince others that I'm much stronger than truth.

I would have much preferred to be underestimated than over as any performance would have been satisfying and understandable. Yet here I am.

With a tired breath, I put my eye up to the telescope in front of me. Astronomy was certainly the least overwhelming class I was currently taking. It would have even been calming if it hadn't included piles of homework.

As I scribbled down the patterns, my round glassed friend sat down beside me. I smiled, attempting to project the fact that I did feel a bit guilty after all. Since the picking, I had little to no time at all with Myrtle. And her, being already pretty easy to hurt, seemed extremely bothered.

"How are you?"

I took a moment away from my paper to face her, "I'm alright, and you? I'm so sorry, I haven't had a moment alone since-"

"The champion choosing, I know." She looked off, "It's not your fault though, so don't bother apologizing. Why would a champion like you want to spend a moment with me,"

I bit my lip guilty, "I am truly sorry.. I should have told you before I put my name in the cup as well. I hadn't considered you at all,"

She looked back to me, a small smile on her face, "It's alright. I know how two-faced Slytherins can be,"

Realizing I was infact a Slytherin, I laughed, "Hey now, watch your mouth,"

"Sorry, I didn't mean you," She looked through her own telescope, "Aw man."

"That one's Leo, I believe." I glanced at her scroll.

Myrtle smiles again, "Thanks."

A comfortable silence overcomes us as we continue with our assignment. The night sky seemed so beautiful, so calm. I thought back to the Myrtle I knew from the bathrooms. Maybe we really could have gotten along if I had thought to give more time to listening to her, or thought of avoiding her less.

"Hey Daniela," Myrtle pondered aloud, "I thought you told me you were invited to join the Slug Club?"

I had almost entirely forgotten Tom's words at the end of history that one day weeks prior.

"Professor Slughorn requested of me to ask if you'd perchance wish to join us in the Slug Club."

The Slug Club.

"And isn't their meeting tonight?" Myrtle continued.

I sighed, of course it was. But me being the way I am, I simply smiled and fibbed my knowing, "Of course it is! I cannot wait." It was absolutely by luck that the timing for it was right after this class. I unfortunately wouldn't have any time to change so I hope dress code wasn't on the top list of importance.