XVIII | library talks

"What did Tom Riddle want with you?"

--

Many exciting things were coming up and yet I felt as if I were becoming uncomfortably overwhelmed. Besides new found allies, forming a relationship, homework, lessons, and the most concerning of them, the egg, every moment passed by so dreadfully quick.

The few months that passed since the first challenge were just the speed and twice as chilling (literally; the leaves seemed to be at the point of crackling). Many of the fellow students had split decisions on either leaving me to decipher in peace or completely overcrowding. Unfortunately, Tom didn't seem to be one of those interested in my progress. In fact, I had barely even seen him since behind the podiums. That includes the ever so draining Slug Club meetings.

I decided that meant he just needed the time to think and gave him the space he wanted. It was not as if I had nothing else to work through.

In this current, I was studying in the library with Myrtle and Hagrid. Ever since the challenge, the two of them seemed to be growing closer to one another alongside myself. Our celebratory journey to Honeydukes had certainly been eventful. While we were on the way there, Myrtle was tripped and teased by some group of Ravenclaw girls. Hagrid, being his good natured self, tried to give them a good, yet soft, talking to. Coincidentally though, he was also an extremely large boy and that sent the girls running fairly quick.

Speaking of.

"Hey, what do you think of the egg being a hint to some sort of bird?" Hagrid tipped his big head in attempt to read the enormous book of birds currently in his hands (very large considering the size of his own hands), "The gold may just be a literal sense.."

Myrtle took the book from his hands, "Sorry.. " She pushes up her glasses and book closer to her face, "Oh but wouldn't that be so obvious though? Seriously. A mysterious golden egg meaning the next challenge is a bird? What do you think, Daniela?"

I shrugged, "I don't truly believe it's a bird. Hadn't the dragon flown? I wouldn't understand why two of the challenges would consist of flying species."

I had strongly recalled the second challenge being water based, but not much of how the champions had found a way to crack the code. Well, I believe there was a code somewhere in the inconsistent screaming. Opening the egg had certainly given my roommates a scare. Unfortunately, Harry Potter and I hadn't really been on close terms. And even further as last checked, there weren't too many bird species in Hogwarts' waters.

It would have been extremely helpful to try and tell my friends the knowledge I already know yet the struggle of explaining how I knew that would be too difficult.

"See but what if it's not just a bird but some chicken. Those don't fly."

Myrtle groans, "You can not seriously be actually considering that."

"Yeah? I am actually." He picks himself up away from the table, "I'm going to go find more books on chickens. Prove my right to yeh."

"Sure, thanks a lot, Hagrid." I smile appreciatively. They really didn't need to help me after all. I'm not sure if it's truly allowed even, but they had still pushed to do so anyways.

Myrtle picks herself up next, "And I'll try and point the oaf in the right direction." She hurries after him, narrowly bumping into a tall figure on her way over, "Sorry." Myrtle gushes apologetically.

The boy gives a small 'no worries' before continuing his way over. With an air of slickness, he hovers over Myrtle's chair, a smile plastered falsely on his face, "Is this seat taken?"

I glance over to my friends, who seem busy enough by the shelves, "Not at the moment. Go ahead, Riddle."

He sits before I've finished my sentence, extremely sure of himself. Tom laces his pale fingers together and with much elegance, "I wish to congratulate you on your performance."