4 | Waking up

I felt myself emerge from the deep dark realm of sleep. I stirred a little, then I blinked and slowly opened my eyes. A bright light glared, and my eyes needed to adjust. As they did, I noticed that I lied on my side, and on a bed. Then I saw I was still in Loki's cell. He was reading on the left side of the bed, his silhouette in front of the yellow barrier in the background.

He looked at me and smiled. "Morning."

All the shyness, embarassment and panic came back and hit me like a train. I had passed out in front of Loki. Because he came near me without a shirt. Oh my gods.

Loki threw his book on the nightstand and rolled on his side. He propped his head up on his elbow and grinned. "How are you?"

I felt the embarassment creep up my cheeks, I was sure they were of a burning red, and that made it somehow more embarassing. The poem. My attempt to quit. My unconsciousness. Ugh.

"How long did I sleep?", I asked Loki.

"A couple of hours", he replied casually, not losing the smug expression.

I frowned. "Didn't they look for me? And what do the patrols say?"

"Well, a maid named Laura looked for you. We got in a conversation, and as I explained the situation, she seemed to understand ... apparently you are in your bedroom because you are not feeling well." Loki winked and then looked satisfied with himself. "And the patrols see the same as always when I mess with you. For example, when I took my armour off ..." He made a small pause to look me in the eyes. "I created an illusion of the usual cell. You can stay as long as you like."

It took me a moment to take that whole situation in. Of course Laura lied to everybody, saying I was sick ... she and Loki probably got along swimmingly.

"You still look a little nervous", he added.

I threw my hands in the air. "Well, of course I do! I just passed out in front of you while I tried to quit my job, and now I am lying in bed with the prince of Asgard. Who wouldn't be nervous."

"I am not nervous. I am in bed with me all the time."

I shot him an annoyed glance and he grinned.

"Are you feeling better?", he asked softer.

I nodded. "Yeah ..." I sighed. I enjoyed it, but it was not appropriate for a maid to lie in bed with Loki, and I had always kept my distance despite my feelings. "I should probably get up." I started to remove the blankets.

"Nope", he said and grinned again.

I rose my eyebrows. "But it is not appropriate to lie in bed with you."

"Darling, what part of Asgard would you describe as appropriate? Besides, getting up is not healthy for you at the moment." Loki began to get up on his knees. "And too many people care about appropriateness anyway." He smirked at me. "Let me help you decide."

He grabbed my left arm and with a tug I lied on my belly. "Hey!", I protested.

Loki quickly lied down on my back so that we made a cross lying back to back, he smiled mischievously at me. "Now, would you say this is better than before?"

"No!", I protested, half laughing half groaning. "Loki!"

"What?", he chuckled and moved a little so he was comfortable. "I find this very amusing."

"Of course you do!", I said. I tried to wriggle into freedom, but to no avail. "You are just messing with me!"

Loki gasped. "What gave you that idea? Such an inappropriate thing to say to a prince. Say, are you ticklish?"

"NO!"

But I couldn't stop him, he started to poke my sides.

"Hey! HEY! StohOP! No!"

"Oho, you are! Such a nice trait to have." He snickered and continued to poke me.

It made me jump, but because his weight was on my hip, my movement was restricted. I tried to slap his hands away. "Loki!"

"Slapping a prince is also not appropriate", he giggled.

I was now almost laughing. "Come on, you are just playing with me."

He stopped and looked at me. "Well, I am teasing you, but you are not just a plaything to me."

"Oh, yes, I am also food delivery."

Loki looked like it was really hard for him not to roll his eyes. He rolled off me and pulled me into his arms. "No, you are not just that."

Him hugging me washed away almost all my thoughts.

"Look, you seem like a really nice person", Loki said. "I would like to know you better."

"So you are trying to flirt?"

He showed an almost shy smile. "Well ... yes?"

"Is your flirting always just pulling off your shirt and expecting a positive reaction?"

He now actually rolled his eyes. "My flirting possibilities in this cell are limited."

I smirked. "I think your flirting in general is limited."

Loki rolled us over so he lied on my belly. "Did you just say my flirting skills are less than perfect or do you want to be spared from another tickle attack?" He grinned.

"Uhm ..." My eyes glittered mischievously, and I couldn't bring myself to answer.

"So?", Loki asked and moved his fingers, his grin growing wider.

"I don't knohohow ..." And he tickled me again until I was out of breath.

"My gods", I panted. I looked up into his sparkling green eyes. I had never dreamed of coming so close to him, but I just knew in that moment that he was the best thing that ever happened to me. I felt his breath on my face, his glance wandered down to my lips.

His face was just centimeters from mine. "Can I ...", he whispered, "can I kiss you?"

My heart exploded in 1000 butterflies. I nodded, because I wasn't able to speak.

"Where?", he murmured, his eyes trailing back into mine.

"On ... on the lips?", I responded shakily.

A sly grin appeared on his face. "Which ones?"

Annoyance accompanied my excitement. "Loki Laufeyson. God of mischief. Have you maybe considered that you are simply incapable of any modest flirt attem-"

But his lips were on mine. Maybe it was my teasing that made him lose that last little bit of insecurity, that made him bend down and unite our lips. He was very slow and careful, and the utter happiness flooding me made me think new things. Maybe he was just as nervous as me? Maybe he liked me for a long time, as long as I liked him? Maybe he always was excited before we met, and mentally prepared himself like I did? Maybe we were meant for each other?

When we pulled away, I just stared in his eyes. The world was silent, everything was my buzzing body and him laying on top of me.