The Dedication Speech

After Harley was finished with her performance, Gomez and Morticia made their way on stage. The villainous singer bowed, and the couple clapped. Then she hopped off to join the cheering audience, and Gomez spoke into the microphone.

“Thank you Miss Quinn, you’ve made this momentous night even more memorable.”

“Yes it was a lovely performance from both you and our Lurch.” Morticia added. Lurch at his harpsichord to side of them nodded nervously, then went behind the curtains. When the cheering quieted down, Gomez smiled, and began to speak again.

“I’d like to thank everyone really, for coming to the grand opening of our hotel. And now I’d like to say a few words to all of you…. I had this place built, in commemoration of my mother. She passed this last year, and she was a wonderful woman, who made me feel safe in a world full of things to fear.” His voice trailed, and silence befell the relative’s and guests. Morticia put her hand on her husbands shoulder.

“One of the last things she said to me,” he went on. “was that she loved when family members would pass through and stay with us…. And eventually, we began letting neighbors, acquaintances, even total strangers stay with us; because, our family knows what its like to be outcasts, what it’s like to not have warm place to stay when rejected by, or lost in society…. My mother said to me on her death-bed, that she wished we could open our doors to all the outcasts who were burned by the world. Because even simply, just a friendly gesture, or home-cooked meal, could make someone rise from the ashes, like a phoenix. So welcome everyone to this place, that’s not just used for vacations, but as a temporary home, so if you need it, you can get back on your feet,” He stopped talking abruptly, then turned to Morticia. She nodded in assurance. “and you can burn the world right back.”
The crowd of rejects cheered again, raising their drinks and whistling, just as excited for the opening of this safe haven.

“You really know how to rally up a crowd Addams!” A man called, all the people turned to see the face of this familiar voice.
The man smiling proudly in the middle of the crowd, was Phineas Taylor Barnum, ringmaster of the famous circus.

“Ah P.T!” Gomez replied excitedly. “So glad you could join us, I knew you were going to be busy old chap.” P.T. shrugged.

“I moved some things around.” The people around gawked at this face, that for many years represented them, spoke in their behalf to the public, gave people like them spot lights and a standing ovations. And he was right there in the midst of them, at their party.

“Are you sure you’re just here for the support and canapés Mr. Barnum?” Morticia asked humorously. “Not for any ulterior motives.”

“I might be talent scouting a little.” And the Prince of Humbug winked at the Princess of Pranks. Harley smiled wide, the crowd gasped, and Phantom narrowed his eyes. Her talent, if it could be even be called that, would be wasted on that con-man. He thought in his head.

“Well whatever the reason, I got to thank you for the publicity it’ll bring!” Gomez said.

“Yeeaah, I’m not sure you want the kind of ‘publicity’ that follows me.” The people laughed. “But I’ll honored to be one of your first guests Addams, though I’m afraid I can only stay for the night.”

“We’re honored to have you for any amount of time Mr. Barnum.” Said Morticia.

“I’ll stop with the jibber-jabber now,” P.T. replied. “come on guys it's time to party, what are you standing around me for?” He encouraged. And so the celebration continued, and the next day, even more unusual guests came to stay at this fancy new hotel.

[Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this chapter you might enjoy this song: 'Welcome to the Black Parade' a cover by Scott Bradlee's Postmodern Jukebox]