Chapter 1: The mentor and the student

Alina Estelle Croft remembered the first day she arrived at the academy

Alina Estelle Croft remembered the first day she arrived at the academy. She was nervous when Fredrick Croft, her mentor and her adopted father informed her about it.

At first, Alina thought that maybe Fredrick was already tired and used it as a reason to get rid of her for good. Some may find it disheartening that an eight year old girl can think such awful things from her own father. But it was normal.

The bond between Alina and Fredrick was always within the spectrum of being a mentor and a student. Even though Alina carries his last name as a daughter should, she was only adopted since she doesn't have any blood relations at all. She doesn't even have a pinch of memory of who her parents were or what her life was before being trained by Fredrick. But when she do try to remember, she can only recall feelings instead of memories that she does not want to feel again.

Cold and loneliness.

So she decided to refrain in trying to remember her past, settling of what it is in the present.

Fredrick and Alina's relationship may not be like a father and a daughter in which at first Alina admits, felt dismayed. Don't get her wrong, Alina always felt lonely so when Fredrick took her in his care at the age of five, she was grateful. He let her live in his mansion and there she met his loyal friend and servant Gabriel who she never see wearing anything but his immaculate suit. Fredrick gave her comfortable clothes, fed her and even provided her own room and she was grateful to have her own space in this large mansion.

In return, she had to train her powers extensively and study various subjects that a child should yet to learn due to its difficulty such as advanced global history, geometry, mathematics, physics and many more. Alina was a prodigy. She learned and absorbed information like a sponge in academics and can even have casual debates with Fredrick in breakfast and dinners. But of course all of this became possible due to Alina's handwork.

Exceptional she may be in terms of her studies, like any normal being, she still struggle to control her powers. One thing she can describe her power was, it's defiant to her will. As if it wants to unleash its raw power out of her little hands and body, mocking her for being weak, denying its master.

During the training of her powers, Fredrick would always remind her that her abilities is not something to be dominated but must be part of her.

"Remember Alina, your power is not something you borrowed. It is not like magic where its wielder needs incantations or spells to perform. It is you." Fredrick said in a calm yet authoritative voice that he uses during lessons.

"But it never listens!" Alina frustratingly replied. "Whenever I call for my powers, I always have this feeling that it wants to burst and then it goes out of control."

"Then connect with it, will it to be calm. You cannot force your power into submission when there is nothing to rule. Try to understand it."

Alina would sometimes question his teaching when it comes to her powers. He doesn't know how her power feels. He doesn't know that every time she calls for it it would mock her as it tries to do something on its own.