Chapter 14: Fear

Alina Estelle Croft had wondered what her real fear was

Alina Estelle Croft had wondered what her real fear was. Countless private training with Reginald Hargreeves in making people see their fears made her wonder what was hers.

Alina was starting to be plagued by nightmares. It was getting worse. As the days goes by, Reginald seems to become firm with his trainings and those moments behind the walls of his office, her mind powers were sharpened by Reginald like a blade. Alina wondered if those people she inflicted her powers on started to infect her with their fears. Their nightmares infested her dreams, waking her in the middle of the night, drenched in sweat. But Alina knew they weren't hers because she could remember every detail she did on her victims.

Reginald Hargreeves held fascination by Number Eight's powers. She held potential and she learns fast. But Reginald took note on how Number Eight hesitates on using her powers in mental manipulation. He considered her resistance as a futile attempt to deny her potential.

Reginald Hargreeves was a wise man. He knew how to train Alina and how to handle her hesitations. He will always get what he wants and it is always through manipulation.

Reginald remembered the time when Alina refused to continue their private trainings. She always hated controlling  people like puppets and invade their minds, making them see their deepest fears. Reginald knew that the girl will reach her limit someday. And when the day will come, Reginald knew what to do.

"No."

"You cannot deny my order, Number Eight. Proceed on controlling Subject 23."

"No. I don't want to do this. Can't you see, she's in pain! Please-"

"Fine, let Subject 23 go."

The girl sighed in relief as she deactivated her powers, and within a second, Subject 23 dropped like a lifeless doll on the floor. Alina thought that the training was finally over but she was wrong when Reginald pressed a button on the radio and spoke.

"Pogo, bring Number Seven in."

Alina became confused. What does he want with Vanya? He only calls for Alison to rumor his subjects after their training.

Her mind ran as she searched for reason. Suddenly, she felt her throat dried in realization.

The door opened and there revealed a confused Vanya standing beside Pogo who wore an expression of guilt. Reginald called for Vanya as he waved his hand to approach them at the center of the room.

Vanya examined her surroundings. It was her first time being here and she wondered what was this about. Her eyes widened when she saw Alina standing in front of a middle aged woman, sprawled on the ground unconscious.

"Number Seven! Make haste!" Reginald's voice echoed in which Vanya flinched as she hurried her steps.

"Now, Number Eight, since you stubbornly refuse to continue your training with Subject 23, it shows you're getting tired of the Subjects I provide you." Reginald said, his eyes held Alina who paled as her heart plummeted. "Which is why, I shall provide you new subjects and we shall start with Number Seven."