Ch. 16: A Couple For Today

"Alright! Let's just promise NOT to get too close to each other's parents from now on!"

So...

I ended up meeting Jisung's parents, too. They were nice people. They made sure I felt comfortable, and soon I found myself feeling just that around them... Pretty much until Jisung felt jealous, too.

Now, we're both at his district's local park, taking a walk after having lunch at his house, and he's now persuading me to make a promise with him to know our boundaries with other people. Especially our parents.

Who knew we would be this attached to each other? Is this even healthy, at this point?

An indefinite expression rests on my face as I look towards Jisung, him wearing a stern expression as he said those words. His pinky is even held out to me, waiting to connect with mine.

While I do have my reasons to doubt, I know exactly where he's coming from. I got upset a few days ago, too, for him being too close with my parents. And now, here we are. It would be rude for me not to accept this deal with him, right?...

Right?

"No," I end up saying, almost bluntly.

Jisung's eyes widen at my response, and a dumbstruck look forms on his face as his hand slowly falls. "... What?"

Then I look straight at him with a small smile. "No," I repeat. Then I connect my pinky finger with his, raising our hands together for both of us to see. "Instead, let's just promise to be transparent with each other. And if there's ever anything bothering either one of us, let's promise to solve those problems and find a solution together. And also..." I pause for a second, but then my smile widens a little as I look at Jisung with a more definite look this time. "Let's promise to help each other be a better person than now. Sounds better, doesn't it?" This time, even my eyes smile at Jisung, and I fail to recognize how I had suddenly become more confident with my words and actions.

Not until I look at him, and he smiles back at me and firmly connects his pinky finger with mine. "Mm. It does," he says, before he eventually continues to say something that catches me off guard. "Come to think of it, you didn't actually say that because you also thought we were getting too attached with each other, did you?"

Wait... he thought that, too?!

My eyes widen, and that's when my confidence falls again. I was about to say something in return after that, but my attention, and Jisung's, suddenly gets stolen by something else.

A middle-aged female vendor suddenly approaches us, and we both turn to her as our expressions turn into curious ones. The woman smiles, then before either one of us could speak, she holds up two heart-shaped lollipops infront of us. Immediately, my eyes widen once again just before the woman speaks. "What a sweet couple you two are! Why don't you have these? They would be perfect for your date, wouldn't they?"

"U-uhm..." I end up stuttering to the woman.

Jisung, on the other hand, however, really had the audacity to lie as he took the two lollipops from the woman with one hand while placing his other arm around my shoulder. "Why, thank you, ma'am. Yes, of course!" He smiles at the woman, and the latter smiles back at him before walking away with a wave of her hand.

And once she's gone, I turn to Jisung with a disbelieving look while he smiles proudly at me while holding the two lollipops up.

The audacity of this kid!

"Hey–"

"Hey, let's be a couple for today."

Once again, Jisung surprises me with his words. But this one does more than just surprise me. My heartbeat suddenly starts accelerating, and despite the cold winter air, my face suddenly starts heating up. "W-what?"