Stolen Kisses

The police officer meets the masked menace at midnight.

They have danced a sensual dance for many years.

The officer chases after her, while she chases her dreams.

Her hands have always seemed to slip from his grasp though, as she's always 2-steps ahead.

The glances into her honest eyes were far too short-lived, as she will not get caught for the truth behind them.

Through the limited time they've shared, through their stolen kisses and unspoken banter, they've fallen in love.

And tonight, they're finally meeting face to face.

His defiant eyes meet her submissive grin and they can't help but smile in agreement.

She reaches for his waist, tugging at his belt, pulling him closer.

Click!

Her street smart ways prevail once again, she has taken his handcuffs and tightened it around her slender wrist.

His book smarts from police training allows him to quickly grab her other wrist before she can cuff it as well.

Click!

They look down and to her surprise, he has cuffed his own wrist, binding them to each other.

He throws the key away into the night.

She grins, teary-eyed, they both know what this means.

They must face the consequences of life, together, now and forever.

-Hanna Guzman (2022)