Chapter 8

Beyonce knew she was slowly, silently becoming completely unglued. 

Her mind was wandering to places it shouldn't go, and she'd had to work extra hours the last several days just because she couldn't think of anything except the fact that Nicki was here, in her home, driving her closer and closer to insanity. 

If I don't fuck her soon, I'm going to become unhinged. 

Glad she was following behind her so that she couldn't see her obvious erection, she watched her hips sway in a pair of ass-hugging jeans as she followed her to the kitchen. 

Her fresh, alluring scent wafted from her body and she breathed it in like a man deprived of oxygen, hungry for her fragrance. She smelled her everywhere, even her bedroom. 

Her aroma seemed to cling to every portion of her house, reminding her of Nicki's presence. 

Like she could forget it? 

What was it about her that fascinated her so much? 

It wasn't as if she tried to make herself irresistible. 

She wore very little make-up and she had yet to see her in anything except jeans-minus the heart-stopping night that she had appeared in that tight mini and sweater-but she was completely enthralled. 

"Why don't you have a boyfriend?" she asked curiously. 

"Wouldn't it have been easier to go to school if you had a man in your life?" They had reached the kitchen and Nicki was pulling lettuce, peppers, and other vegetables from the refrigerator. 

"Do you want to help cut the vegetables for a salad? I'll put in some steaks." She pulled meat from the refrigerator before adding, "Why would I want a boyfriend when I'm going to school?" 

Giving her a perplexed look, she pulled out a cutting board and handed her a knife from the block. 

"Someone to help. Wouldn't it be easier?" Beyonce replied as she washed the vegetables and started cutting awkwardly. 

Cooking was not one of her best skills. 

Beyonce almost sliced through her finger as she burst out laughing before answering, "In my experience, boyfriends aren't exactly helpful." 

She was amused, but Beyonce could hear a touch of hurt in her voice. "Bad experience?" 

"Yes." 

"What happened?"She put the steaks in the broiler and bumped Beyonce out of the way. 

She opened the refrigerator and pulled out a beer. 

Twisting the top off, she handed it to Beyonce and shooed her away to the island sitting area. 

"I'll cut.You're likely to amputate a digit or two." 

Beyonce frowned as she took a seat and watched Nicki's profile as she sliced and diced like a professional. 

"So, what happened?"She sighed. 

"I dated August for five years. I thought we would end up married. Unfortunately, I came home from work early one day and caught him in bed with the person I thought was my best friend." 

Was the guy totally insane? 

He had Nicki in his bed every night and he wanted someone else? 

"He was an idiot." 

"It wasn't meant to be. I'm actually thankful that I wasn't married to him." 

"It still hurt you."