Clean

Cherry wasn't wrong about Malibu; once we get off the highway, the streets become less dense and run straight along the coast. Rolling dunes and hills to our left, the vast blue ocean to the right. Fancy cars whizzing past and large, light-colored homes encased in palm trees and stone fences are the only indication that people with money occupy this stretch of land. Besides the houses and developments jutting against the beach, we pass a few restaurants and small shopping centers. Nothing massive or outright screaming "money."

We travel the coast for a few miles before turning into a development on the water side of the road. The houses are newer, with lots of glass and more than one floor, plenty of angles to get a good view of the ocean. Most also have their own pools and multi-car garages. Towards the end of a street Felix pulls into the driveway of a three-story home; it's white with black window frames and a shiny copper roof. Palm trees cast tall shadows over the front yard.

"This is gorgeous," I say as we climb out of the car. The crashing waves of the ocean reach our ears, though we can't see the water from this side of the house.

Felix stretches his hands above his head, completely at ease. "You can thank Cherry—the mastermind behind the renovation."

Cherry playfully slaps her husband's shoulder before turning to me. "The house had good bones when we purchased it—just needed a little TLC and fresh coat of paint. Here, I'll give you the tour!"

Before I can even reply, she hooks her arm through mine.

"You have the bags, boys?" she calls over her shoulder, pulling me along with her up the driveway towards the house.

Ollie's disgruntled expression follows as she guides me in through the garage.

The inside is just as stunning as the outside, maybe even more so. Marble floors that stay cool in the heat, shiny appliances and large island in the kitchen. It's open-concept, and I swear the white couch in the living room could seat twenty people. Most impressively, of course, are the rows of floor-to-ceiling windows at the back, overlooking the large deck, pool, and ocean. I try to keep my jaw from going slack as Cherry leads me around, voice echoing off the vaulted ceilings, to the rooms and bathrooms. The first floor is the living spaces, while the second will be our bedrooms, and the third is the master suite, where she and Felix will be staying.

"This one's for the twins," she says as we come to the first room on the second floor. "It's the only one with two beds." Moving down, she points out the next. "And your room, since Bodie's not here. You have the best bathroom on this floor, if I do say so myself," she adds with a wink. "Finally, Bastian is at the end."

I take in the distance between Bastian's room and mine and try to let an uneasy feeling go.

In the end, Felix and Cherry opt to have some groceries delivered so Felix can barbeque for dinner. We all break for a bit after all the bags have been brought in. My room is larger than my one at Lila's, with a king-size canopy bed and ornate dresser with matching vanity. Cherry was right about my bathroom—it's made up in these intricate blue tiles on the floor and has a glass shower with a dazzling ceiling showerhead. Double sinks with a heavy marble countertop and wide mirror.

I'm just finishing rinsing my mouth from brushing my teeth—the vomit residue's been gagging me since the flight—when Ollie appears in the doorway.

"If you're in here alone, you need to lock your door," he says. He leans against the doorframe, arms crossed.

"It's my own bathroom," I say, confused. "Who's going to walk in?"

"Not the bathroom. The door to your room. If Baby Brother and I aren't with you—you lock that door, understand?"