Chapter 6

That night, I dreamt of clouds again, but this time, I was a cloud. Light and effortless floating through a blue sky, then floating through cedar and pine trees and over snowy mountains with roaring waterfalls. The daze of daydreams slipped when I woke, though I could have sworn I could still smell fresh pine cones. It was the best I'd woken up feeling for a long time. I slowly sat up in bed, sweeping my knotted hair up into its usual perch atop my head. Despite the slightly aching muscles, I felt fresh, or something close to what I remembered fresh feeling like.

Alex had been the perfect gentleman and hugged me goodnight, pressing a soft kiss on my forehead, "sweet dreams Hal," he'd whispered with his kiss. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want more, he was the perfect distraction. Even thinking the thought made me feel utterly rid with guilt. I was using Alex, I needed company that I could stand and he fit the bill. I sat there for a long while, just thinking. Thinking about our night, his kiss on my forehead, his smirk, pondering on that small flame of hope rising from the bottom of me - If Alex came out the other side, then I would try, I owed at least that to myself, to my mother.

At least I didn't have to move in with Jana and Pilsby now! "Shit!" the bakery... they must be worried sick, I thought looking up at the sky, I'm sure it was well past midday judging from the sun. I slid down the hallway with so much speed, my socks slipperier than I'd bargained for. I slid past the bathroom door and onto my hips. No time to tend to the pulse in my now aching hip. I got up quickly, reaching for the bathroom door, about to swing it open wide when I saw a note taped to the door.

No need to rush! I've seen your bakery friends and told them you'd be having today off, call me when you wake up - Alex

I felt my cheeks tightening as I finished reading, I was smiling, hell, I might have even been blushing. I wonder what Mum would have thought of my new friend and our somewhat romantic night... she probably would have told me that I was a fool for using him as a 'distraction'. "The day you meet your match is a day I don't want to miss," she'd say and smirk as I talked about every twat at school and all the things that annoyed me about them. Wondering was all I could ever do now, wonder what she'd think, I could never know what she'd truly think of anyone or anything from here on in.

Thank God Alex picked up the phone, my thoughts seemed to be getting more morbid by the second.

"Well hello sleeping beauty, if you've slept enough, get dressed and come downstairs, we're going somewhere... and before you can object, I promise you will like it." I'd started to interrupt halfway through, the damn boy cut me off. I know for sure Mum would have liked him already. "There's a list of what you need on your bedroom door, don't keep me waiting forever." How the hell had he even gotten these notes onto my doors, he must have written them last night on his way out, I do recall him going to the bathroom before he left, now that I thought of it. He really liked to plan ahead.

pack list:

that pretty smile

shoes

warm jumper

notepad

matches

water bottle

An eyebrow rose unwillingly,  along with a mixture of confused emotions, "what on God's green earth are you up to Alex..." I couldn't finish my sentence, I didn't even know Alex's last name. Uncannily, it kind of made me feel more myself, going on a date, (if you could call it that) with someone whose last name I didn't even know.

"There she is... ready for an adventure?" Alex's golden hair looked more ruffled than normal, shining in the midday sun. "Where exactly are we going huh?" I eyed him with suspicion, as I slung my backpack over my shoulder. "I told you, on an adventure," he shrugged as he turned his back to me and grabbed his bag.