Chapter 32

The world was dark when I woke up again. The night felt cool and the sheet covers felt like the finest goosefeather, it was nice to be under a cosy cover, to feel my cheeks chilled in the cool night air. I went to sit up to get a better look at the room; of Brynth, when I felt a strong hand, accompanied by a males voice. "Shhh, sleep Hal, you'll be awake soon." The hand rested over my eyes, making my body feel like I was floating through space, the gravity floating me off into a deep sleep. I dreamt of the ocean. The sand tickled my toes as I walked. It was so unlike any beach I'd ever seen. The sand was white and soft. The seashore swished softly over my toes as I walked, it sang softly, a whispering coo. The clear, cold waters refreshed my being as I breathed in the salty air that gently caressed my skin. As I looked up, I could see the expanse of water to my left, crystal clear, turquoise waters, a still bay. On my right, an expanse of pine trees, the smell thick and rich with cedar, mingling in with the salt. I think this was my favourite mixture of smells, topping even the Tudors' fresh-baked pastries.

I lost track of how many times I'd come in and out of consciousness, waking for a moment, sometimes it was day, sometimes night, yet always the hand next to me, and then the same dream. The voice that belonged to the hand barely spoke, only a soft shhh, sometimes a stroking of the hair, tucking it behind my ears. Each time I noticed something different about the dream, there were birds squawking, blue butterflies fluttering, and busy squirrels in the trees. There were mountains on the blue horizon; a squiggly line far off in the distance, sometimes I could see their shape in the haze a little clearer, but I never remained conscious in the dream longer than that short walk from one end of the bay to the other.

Each time I opened my eyes the room became a little more clear. Were it not for those moments I'd have thought I lived in that perpetual, delightful daydream. I was sitting on the sand, looking out at the same mountain-lined horizon. It was sunset this time, a peach and red-streaked sky, making the waters glow as they delighted themselves with a dance in the glorious colours. The smell of salt was so strong I could almost taste it as a voice entered the colours, "Hal, can you hear me." I startled awake. Giving my eyes ample time to adjust to the light. It wasn't too bright and I could feel the cold of night present in the air.

I looked around, the walls were long wooden logs, the room was quite small, a simple stovetop to the right, a large wooden rocking chair and two glass windows, the glass panes dusty and covered over in fog and what looked like salt. The trail of my eyes was slow, tedious work, they needed rest every few moments to adjust. I looked down at my feet, covered in white sheets and a burgundy knitted throw, the throw was unravelling in parts. I felt the hand in mine, the hand feeling far more gentle and soft today. I followed the feeling and craned my neck. My muscles felt like they'd had a bad case of whiplash. I blinked a few times to make out the form, easing my head and mind back down when I realised it was Jaz.

I cleared my throat, swallowing saliva that seemed to pool in my mouth. My mouth tasted furry and foul, and I noticed for the first time how empty and hollow my stomach felt. There was a small lamp on the single bedside dresser next to me, the soft glow flickering across Jazminda's glittery green eyes. "What's wrong with me?" I whispered, word by painfully slow word. Jazminda didn't reply straight away, looking down and placing her other hand upon mine like a sandwich. "We were compromised... Cretan felt it the morning of the wedding." She spoke soft and slow, as though she was afraid of her own story coming from her lips. "He embedded the image in a lily on my dress, the moment I touched it, I knew we were done for."

I wanted to tell Jaz what I knew, wanted to cry and scream all at once, yet I knew better, even with the new and improved Jazminda, I couldn't trust that she'd forgive me or even not kill me. "We didn't know to what extent mother knew, or how much... I couldn't be sure even what she'd do. She is truly wicked, she would let me marry Niall, knowing full well it was a ruse. I suspect after the deed was done she would have killed you straight away, likely forcing Cretan or Cole to do it, making a spectacle in front of the 'who's who' in Tarata, just so they'd not forget who she was. My false marriage would have only been the precipice to the other punishments she'd have dished out."