Chapter 28

Dancing with Niall had been a complete surprise, I reminded myself to tell Jazminda she should just come clean and marry the boy, he sounded so much like her Riccadian lover she'd spent hours talking about. Yet the real surprise was who Cretan sent me. 

The woman looked to be around Cretans age, crowned with the same silvery hair.

She wore a black, silk dress, beaded with pearls on the neckline and down to her impossibly thin waist. "What am I working with here?" she said as she invited herself in. I'd just gotten out of the shower, suddenly relieved I was wearing a towel. "Mmhmm, mhmmm," she muttered, circling me twice and eyeing me from head to toe. "Sugar!" she smiled, placing one hand on my chin, "you are a rose dressed like a corn cob, no wonder the Queen sees you as an earthling peasant," she laughed. I couldn't quite tell if she was mocking me or not. Her face was soft and kind, filled with freckles and personality. Yet her voice, her words, it was honey mixed with rum and spice. "Look, I know Cretan sent you to help me, which I'm so grateful for because clearly this corn cob needs help, but please just don't make me a tart!"

The woman just smiled, then broke into a succinct giggle, "you mean don't make you look like a Taratian tramp?" I nodded bashfully. "Well,  let's get to work then hmm. Now, I'm not like an ordinary seamstress, I work on feelings and frailties, love and limerence, yada yada....so," she grinned with exuberant pride, "what is it you find your thoughts wandering too? When do you feel utterly uninhibited... close your eyes child!" I looked her dead in the eyes, she was a loon, Cretan had sent me a loon to dress me for a royal engagement. I considered for a moment just wearing something of Jazminda's, but then it was her engagement party, real or fake, it would have looked bad on my part. "You don't trust me? You know I'm Cretan's sister do you not?" she looked offended, and rightfully so, I'd stood staring at her, my thoughts may as well have been stamped on my head the way she picked them up."

"Cretan warned me you were stubborn, so if you do not wish for my help, I will happily oblige, farewell."

"Wait!" I said frantically, catching up with her right outside my door and all too aware I was still in my short towel. "Please, I'm sorry, I'm just not used to wearing dresses and very not used to magic and all that," I said, remembering the little she would know of me. "Okay, well Hal, if we are going to do this, you have to trust me?" She said, her tongue bulging and creating an anthill on her cheek. I was beginning to think the attitude was like a disease in the water in Tarata, was anyone not confident, or was Earth just dull with anxiety-ridden people. I threw my hands up, slapping them against the outside of my legs on the way down, "have at it lady!" She grinned, "It's Portia, darling, now close your eyes sugar," she said.

                                                                                                     - 

I could hear the festivities starting all the way from the west wing where my room was. I paced back and forth, unable to pinpoint one feeling exactly, but I was sure nerves and embarrassment threaded them all together. I wondered if I stayed long enough if Cole would come and get me, he was probably swarmed with ladies vying for his attention by now. I felt stupendously ridiculous in this dress too. Perhaps I'd just rip it off and transport myself back to the country where I clearly belonged.

My thoughts were swirling, in depth and colour, the longer they lingered the darker they seemed to become. Who did I think I was, a traitor and a liar attending this royal party... a rap of knuckles sounded on my door, I gave myself three deep and slow breaths, calming myself down, "who is it?" my voice rang out with a raspy twang.

"It's Ally, are you coming down or what?" God,  Ally, I hadn't seen her in weeks, I gathered Cole had dismissed her from being around nearly as much, although to be fair, I'd barely seen Cole too. I swung open the door, "Sorry, I was just caught up in a book I couldn't put down," I lied, "walk with me down to the courtyard?"