Adventures in Adulting

Ally was nervous.

She was used to being nervous because she got nervous a lot, but she never liked it, and she wished she never had to feel it. Or she at least wished she didn't have to feel it the way she did and as intensely as she pretty much always did.

Ally was nervous about being an adult.

She was nearly nineteen years old, so technically, she was an adult.

But she didn't feel like one.

Ally didn't feel like an adult because she lived with her dad and his wife. Her boyfriend used to live with her, but he had moved into his house that he had recently renovated. Ally stayed over with him on the weekends and surely that should have made her feel like an adult.

But it didn't.

And that was because Joe lived on a few doors down from her, so if Ally ever needed her dad for something, she could just walk back to his house, and he would be there.

That was why she didn't feel like an adult.

But Ally was an adult because she would be starting her new adult life and responsibilities.

It was her first day of university.

It was nerve racking.

That was why she procrastinated getting ready because she kind of didn't want to go.

But she did hear the back gate open and close. Everyone used the back gate instead of the front door to enter the house, so Ally walked through the back door to see that Joe had arrived. Even though he didn't live with Pam and Darryl anymore, he was still a welcome visitor and had full permission to walk into the house as though it was still his home. Ally didn't mind that one bit.

"Ready, babe?" asked Joe as he gave Ally a kiss.

Because Ally's university was in town, Joe said he would often be able to give her a lift to class. She was annoyed, though, because her very first lecture of the year (and her university experience) was on a Monday morning at eight 'o' clock. Ally had no idea whose idea it was to set out the lecture timetable like that, but she did know she hated them.

"No," said Ally.

Joe looked at the time, "your class starts in half an hour, doesn't it?" he asked.

Ally looked at the time and nodded.

"You finish getting ready," said Joe, "I'll wait here."

With that, Ally decided to go and do as she was told. She had already had her breakfast, even though she tried convincing herself she wouldn't be able to stomach it. She ended up being quite hungry and was glad that she made herself have something to eat. Pam got her to pack her bag the night before, so all Ally had to do now was get dressed and brush her teeth. She hated being so organised.

...

When Ally was dressed, and her teeth were brushed, she grabbed her back and walked out the backdoor, locking it behind her. Darryl was still asleep, and Pam had left early to go to work, so Ally was the only one getting ready. She walked over to Joe in the gazebo as he had a cigarette as he waited.

"Why does my dad keep the ash tray out when you don't live here anymore?" said Ally as she sat down.

"Because he doesn't mind me smoking when I'm here seeing you," replied Joe.

"I mind."

"I know you do."

"Can I get rid of it?"

"No."