Potential Mishaps in Adulting

Ella always hated it when Robbie had to go back and serve in the army. And it was right when she was starting her first class at university, as well, so Ella wasn't happy at all. Robbie said it was all part of being an adult.

Well, if that was the case, being an adult wasn't fun.

Nevertheless, Ella sat on a chair in the gate at the airport, waiting for a boarding call for Robbie's plane. Ella thought that she should have been used to saying goodbye to Robbie because it happened all the time, but she wasn't. She never liked it and she always missed him so much so she would never get used to it.

Joe and Ally were in attendance as well. Ella never really felt comfortable driving to the airport. She was a good driver, but ever since she made that dumb decision to take her dad's car (ending up crashing it and injuring herself and her dog), getting back into the driver's seat was a challenge. So, Robbie asked Joe if he could drive everyone and seeing as Joe only had a two-seater ute, he borrowed Robbie's car. Joe said he didn't mind, and he took the day off, too. He said he always liked looking for an excuse to take the day off.

Ally and Joe had gone to get some food, and the airport was relatively quiet because it was quite early in the morning. Ella actually wished that it was a little busier because then it would have distracted her from being sad about missing Robbie.

"Maybe we should have gotten married this month," said Ella.

"Why?" asked Robbie.

"Because then you'd be more motivated to not die."

Robbie laughed.

"What?" asked Ella, "I'm being serious."

"I think I'm pretty motivated to not die, hun," replied Robbie.

"But me being your wife will help with that."

"You being home waiting for me to come home safely does it for me, El."

"Really?"

"Always."

Well, that gave Ella something to smile about, which was good. She loved being engaged to Robbie, but sometimes she wondered if they should have gotten married sooner.

"How long will you be gone for this time?" asked Ella.

"Three months, at least," replied Robbie, "you know that."

"Sometimes I wish I didn't."

"I know."

"I miss you too much," said Ella.

"I know," replied Robbie, "I miss you too."

Just as Robbie said that there was an announcement for the boarding of his plan. That couldn't have come at a worse time, Ella thought. Just as they talked about how much they missed one another, it was actually time for Robbie to get up and leave. That didn't feel good at all.

Robbie then looked at the time, and Ella noticed the people in the gate get up and line up to board the plane. They started showing their tickets to the air hostesses, so Ella knew it was well and truly time for Robbie to go. Joe and Ally got back just in time to say goodbye, so when everyone was in attendance, it was time to get started.

Robbie said his goodbyes to Ally and Joe first, and when that was done, they left Ella to say goodbye to her fiancée in private. When they were done, Ella didn't hesitate to allow herself to be wrapped up in Robbie's arms. He kissed her on the head as he did, and Ella tired hard to stop herself from crying.

But it didn't work.

She always cried when Robbie went away.

"Don't cry, babe," said Robbie.