New lives

New Lives

Both Mr Wilson and Annabelle did not expect to have a baby nine months after that night; the incident at the graduation.

But they did.

They now had one month old Cody to look after, and he was a real handful. Annabelle loved her son, and she loved the fact that Mr Wilson was the father of her child, but he did come around eventually.

Annabelle didn't even think about using protection when she thought up her plan to get Mr Wilson to spend the night with her. And Mr Wilson wouldn't have thought about it because he didn't expect it to happen, and he was too drunk to consider it. Being safe wouldn't have even crossed his mind.

But despite all of that, Cody was an incredibly cute little boy, and Annabelle adored him. And she figured that having her son had brought her and Mr Wilson closer because he was in her life now. Although he had moved down to a town called Sandy Beach (and Annabelle lived in Langheights), they made things work.

Mr Wilson would come up every weekend, leaving Sandy Beach on a Friday evening after school, staying over the weekend, and then leaving the Sunday afternoon. And he kept Cody a secret, as well; not even his foster parents, Tony and Elizabeth Doyle, knew about their grandson.

Mr Wilson had never taken Cody down to Sandy Beach to meet his grandparents. He was happy to be a father when he stayed with his little family, but when it came to being in Sandy Beach, he didn't have a son.

Annabelle hoped that he wasn't embarrassed about Cody. Yes, they had a one-night stand, so Cody was technically an illegitimate love child, and yes, they did it in the car. And yes, Mr Wilson was completely drunk when it happened, but he should have loved Cody because he was his son, and he played a part in bringing him into the world.

Maybe he didn't take the news of becoming a father too well when he first heard about it. And Annabelle remembered that day too well, as though it wanted to haunt her, and she hated it.

When Annabelle was five months pregnant with her son, she figured that it was well and truly time to tell Mr Wilson that he was going to be a dad. When she first found out that she was going to be a mother, she tossed and turned all night as she tried to work out whether or not she would tell Mr Wilson.

She knew that Mr Wilson had a right to know, though, because it was his child, and he played a part in creating him. But then again, she didn't want to tell Mr Wilson because he would hate her. He always pushed her away when she kissed him in the classroom, although he did kiss her back, so he would really not be happy about the pregnancy.

Annabelle's parents kept pestering her about telling Mr Wilson. Although they were not too pleased about Annabelle's teacher being the father of her child, they supported their daughter, and they believed that Mr Wilson had every right to know that he was going to be a dad.

Annabelle's parents always went on and on about the fact that she was going to have to tell Mr Wilson because she wouldn't have been able to keep it a secret for long. They always said to Annabelle that she may have passed Mr Wilson anytime with her son and he would have questioned her about it, so what would she have done then?

That was why it was better to tell Mr Wilson about the baby.

So, that was what Annabelle would do now.

She would drive down to Sandy Beach all on her lonesome, go to Mr Wilson's house and tell him about the baby. Annabelle was so nervous about doing it, and she did not look forward to it and hearing what Mr Wilson had to say. But it had to be done, she knew that, and she had to do it sooner rather than later.