Chapter 2: Under the Sea

"I am called Azul. May I know your name?"

      It was polite enough and somehow, affectionate. He was very calm in dealing with her, even when she could tell from the look in his eyes that he was fascinated.

      Mirabella opened her mouth to speak but found herself hesitating from saying something. Her mouth was shut closed for a moment before she answered in a quiet voice.

        "Mirabella."

       Azul broke into a smile. Her voice was quiet but it sounded sweet, like a siren song. "What clan do you belong to?" He asked as he studied her features, but found it strange not to find any defining features.

      'But I can't be sure... She's the first female I've ever seen.'

      Mirabella's brows furrowed. Her expression reflected how deep she was thinking. She stole a glance of him and looked down at her hands quickly, playing with her fingernails with the anxiety beginning to creep up.

       'Clan? How do I answer him?'

      Because she was quiet for a long time, Azul felt quite nervous. From the stories the elders of the merfolk clan had told, he was aware that females were fragile.

       'Did I say something wrong?'

      "Um..."

      The silence trailed on for much longer. Her palms felt sweaty, her mind running a thousand miles per hour as her clothes began to dry under the sun.

      "I don't remember."

      Finally, Mirabella answered. 'This.. should be an excuse I could run away with.'

       But sue still didn't have any idea what had happened or where she was. She looked up to see sea green eyes watching her closely.

      "It's alright." Azul said. 'So sue doesn't remember? Well, I don't see any soul marks. So she doesn't have mates.'

       From quite far away, Azul felt the presence of other beasts approaching. The coast was almost always empty except when tribal beasts came to trade for salt.

      "Danger's approaching. Come with me."

      His words were firm and Mirabella noticed his polite, gentle expression changed in the blink of an eye. Somewhat more serious. Sober.

      'I'm not going to trust him yet but he did save me so... I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.'

       At that moment, Mirabella placed her hands on his.

       It was almost mystical, and magical. The sea water rising from the shore just a few steps away from her and encasing her in a bubble.

      Mirabella gasped feeling the cold touch of the bubble. Smooth and cold.

       'It's like glass.'

      After the and and water had cleared up she saw Azul and his webbed hands holding the bubble as they dove deeper under the sea.

      His face was truly exquisite. Skin pale and white, as if untouched by the sun for years. Long rich blue hair in beach waves fluttering under the water.

      'He's kinda cute. Oh my god! Mira snap out of it!'

     She quickly looked away from him, slapping herself and shaking her head. The vivid colours of the natural treasure trove under the sea caught her eye.