Chapter 14: Searching

"Magnate's daughter missing."

      Those were the headlines on every news front and news channel for days on end. It hadn't been if it wasn't for Alexandria. Exerting her family's influence was as easy as breathing. If only convincing her parents were as easy.

       Alexandria breathed in deep, but she couldn't stay calm. In the marble floored living room, underneath the bedazzling chandelier and surrounded by her mother's weird taste in exotic plants. She focused on the sound of the water falling from the artificial waterfall across the room.

       Her mother had been raving on and on about her sister and her father, seemed like he didn't care. More as if he was relieved.

      "Maybe she ran away? That's child's always been ungrateful. We're wasting all of this time. Alexandria, it's been a month. That's enough." Lana reprimanded carefully and yet cruelly.

       Thin and long red hair cascaded down, perfectly rebonded. Lana's golden, diamond studded earrings glittered subtly. The clothes she wore without even planning to go out was simple and undecorated yet worth more than the chauffeur's salary.

        "She's my sister. She's a child of the Louise family. You can't abandon her."

       At the mention of Mirabella bearing the last name Louise, Lana's expression completely turned sour and feral. Alexandria knew she was treading on a mine field and her mother had just become a ticking time bomb.

        "If it was me, I was missing there would be no expenses spared from you or papa. Would there?"

       Lana's face softened and her voice became gentle as she stroked her daughter's face. "Of course. But that child is different, it'd be better if she dropped of from the face of the earth."

       Lana's lips formed a thin line as she pursed her lips. "Besides, you know it too. Ever since she could she's been trying to stay away from this family. That child has every right to be in this family, but she's the one who wants to leave. You know it's true."

       She did. Alexandria did, Mirabella had broken down in front of her begging for help. "I can't stay here anymore. I don't want to be in this family. Alexa, please... Please let me go."

      Alexandria shook her head, tears brimmed and she slowly spoke. Something she'd never had the courage to tell her mother.

       "It wasn't her fault." It came out as a whisper that left Lana startled. "What?" The older redhead sighed and massaged the temple of her head. Her long painted nails stood in stark contrast to her skin.

       "Being born from a different woman, she didn't choose to be an illegitimate child. In fact, you've been punishing her for that for years when it's not her fault for at all. She didn't choose to be born in that circumstance."

      "Alexandria." Her mother warned in a cold voice borderline an explosion. Lana's eyes darkened, her nails digging deep enough to draw blood from her smooth, flawless hand.

      Mirabella was born from Adrian Louise's one night stand. Not even a mistress.

      At the tender age of 16, Lana Lewis, the only daughter of Aldridge Lewis who owned a multi-million trading company was engaged to Adrian Louise.

      Dashing and beautiful. The green eyes like spring and blonde hair like gold as if his riches had to manifest physically. He had the perfect manners and an even more charming character, and his wealth. There was nothing to criticise.