Chapter 7: Not the Easy Way Out

"Azul, is it possible for females never to get married?"

Azul's expression turned cold and somewhat terrifying. Mirabella felt a chill run up her spine and goosebumps rise on her skin.

"I don't advise you to do that."

"Why not?"

She was determined not to marry unless she wanted to or at least until her life depended on it.

'It's been two months since I came here. Those two months I spent trying to take it all in but still, I haven't completely I accepted this reality yet. I refuse.

I have to go back. I need to go back.'

"Mirabella, having husbands don't simply mean having a partner to reproduce with." Mirabella was amazed with Azul's patience and the way he always explained things to her calmly.

She also applauded herself for being able to max out the 'amnesia' card to the full extent.

'I should get myself an Oscar's when I get back.'

"It means having males to protect you. To hunt food for you, provide for you. It means having someone care and be responsible for you."

Mirabella understood what he meant perfectly. 'Considering the way things are in this world. If someone told me that in my world, I would've sucker punched that person. But in this world, that is the truth. That is the reality of this world.'

"I understand. I'm sorry for asking something so obvious."

"Don't be." Mirabella felt at ease around Azul. He was always calm and peaceful. In fact, she enjoyed his presence more than any man she had ever been involved with in her world.

'If it comes to it, he's very husband material.'

After she realised what she had thought, Mira's cheeks turned red. She quickly covered her face, hair black hair falling like a curtain to hide her flushed appearance.

'Ah! What am I thinking?!'

"Are you alright?" His voice was smooth and yet filled with concern. Mirabella felt weird. She bit the inside of her cheek. Azul saw her expression sullied for a moment.

'Has anyone ever treated me this tenderly back there?'

"Yes. I'm fine, don't worry about me. Anyway, I was curious... What happens to infertile females?"

Mirabella wasn't afraid of the answer because sue knew for a fact that she was perfectly healthy. Still, in a world where a woman's greatest value was her womb, not being able to give birth to any offspring would have been a nightmare.

Azul's expression was grim. She didn't have to ask anymore.

"Why not just accept me?"

Mira was startled by Azul's words. For the two months she had been there, he had never outright asked to be her male. Although he clearly told her he wanted to be.

In that regard Mirabella felt safer with him. He was honest. He wanted her and yet he gave her space and didn't bombard her unlike the countless mermen she had to decline shortly after she recovered from fainting.

'It's probably normal for them to be so straightforward and be like 'Please make me your male.' But it feels suffocating and invading for me.'

"I'll be good to you. I'm confident I can provide for you and protect you. What do you say Mirabella?"

Azul hoped she wouldn't reject. He held his breath and hoped really hard. At first, he was attracted to her because of her outstanding beauty.