Chapter 4: Paused

"It's hard to say but it's probably because of fatigue and shock. It'll be difficult to know when the female will wake up."

      Perhaps it was because her body eased up the tiniest bit, that's why Mirabella collapsed. But in no way was her mind comforted. Only the ache of her body had come and loosened up.

      An instinctual feeling after all the flailing and drowning had come and gone.

       In the large underwater cave where she sat on a sea weed cushioned bed, sue let out a breath as sue talked with Azul, whose presence was strangely calm. Like still lake waters.

       For the three days now, she lay on the sea weed cushioned bed asleep. The only healer of the tribe didn't know what to do. He had little to no knowledge of land dwelling creatures much less any on females which were rarer than an eclipse.

       Azul stayed by the mouth of the cave, never leaving, with the feeling of obligation. He felt and knew he was responsible for her, more so that it seemed her collapse caused troubled waters.

      He looked at her through the transparent bubble. The glow of the bioluminescent algae gave off a mystical look. Her black hair glimmered blue like the night sky, her fair white skin was pale.

       Still, strangely, she looked at peace.

       "Mirabella Louise, you are a member of this family. Never forget that." Her father's voice was always stern and he always looked at her with a firm gaze.

      He was a strict man and an even stricter father.

       "Yes, father."

       Mirabella had grown up hearing those words over and over again, so much that she heard them even in her sleep. When she excused herself, she quickly and quietly stepped out of her father's study.

      Right as she closed the door, she almost crashed against another person.

      It was a much smaller person. A vibrant head of rose red hair, sparkling green eyes like the clearest of emeralds. It was her little sister, Alexandria Louise.

      "Sister!"

     Alexandria had the most cheerful smile. Always with a bright and cheery disposition, with flowers blooming wherever she went. Her cheeks were full and chubby and adorably rosy.

      With a doll clasped in her hands, six year old Alexandria smiled at her sister with innocent eyes.

       "Hi, Alexa. Are you going to play with father?"

      "Yup! We're having a tea party today! Join us sister! Please.." To every one, Alexandria's puppy eyes were irresistible but before Mirabella could even consider it she remembered what her father had just told her.

       "Ah, sorry. I can't. I have a lot of homework today."

      Alexandria pouted. Mirabella giggled and pat her little sister's head affectionately. "I promise later today I'll play with you. Okay?"

      Although dejectedly, Alexandria still gave a reluctant yes before going inside their father's study.

      "Baby! Of course I'm not busy. What do you want to do, little Alexa?"

       Her father's voice was muffled as the door closed. Mirabella's heart felt stuffy as she slowly walked away past the cold and empty hallway to her room.