Chapter 30: That Time I was Suspended...

After dealing with Ian's parents, talking with Mrs. Livingston should be a breeze. After all, Parker isn't in love with his folks like Ian was.

I sit across from Mrs. Livingston but position my chair so I can see the boys roughhousing in the pool.

"Rae," she says primly.

I keep my eyes on the chaos when I ask, "What has your son told you about me?"

"Not much. Just that you were a temp worker, and that's how you two met."

That's interesting; he didn't tell her about our fun night at Loretta's. Not that I blame him. "What else?"

"He said you were into the culinary arts and were considering a culinary school in Paris." She pauses, and I look over to her. She's eyeing my face. "What happened?" She gestures at her own jaw.

"I'm surprised Parker didn't warn you." I let that sink in before continuing, "My ex abducted me; I jumped from his truck while it was in motion. Let's just say the road won that battle."

Mrs. Livingston's mouth opens just the tiniest iota, which lets me know I've truly stunned her. "Abducted you?"

"Oh, yeah. He was an emotionally and physically abusive man during our relationship. When he found out about Parker, he wasn't too thrilled. To say he's the jealous type is putting it mildly."

Her face clears of all emotion as she squares her shoulders. "Well, now it makes sense."

"Pardon?"

"Why he's with you," she says matter-of-factly, reaching out to swat at the red streak in my otherwise dark hair. "You're like a little wounded bird he's found on the side of the road."

I gape at her, forcing myself not to slap her hand away. "Now that's just in poor taste."

"Oh, please. I can see right through your sugary veneer, Rae," she says in her Texas vernacular.

I grin sweetly, refusing to bend to her petty insults. "And I can see right through your prim and proper bullshit," I shoot back. No matter how nice I try to be, someone always finds my Instant Bitch button.

Her eyes narrow, accepting the challenge I've so brazenly tossed out there. "Surely Parker's told you about Janie?" she asks, hoping he hasn't if her smug look has anything to do with it.

"Of course he has, which makes your previous comment doubly out of line," I say. "You owe your son more respect than that. And even more so, you owe it to yourself not to come across as an insensitive bitch."

Her eyes go wide, and she huffs indignantly. "He has to earn my respect first."

"How dare he subvert your ideals, right? You should be proud of your son," I say defensively. "He's earned a degree, is working on his masters, is part of the family business, and he's making a life for himself. Cut him some slack."

"What do you know?" she sniffs. "You've known my son for what? Two weeks? If that."

Her words hit closer to home than I like, but I refuse to let it show on my face. I plaster on that sweet smile again. "Honestly, I don't care what you think about me, unless you think I'm awesome. In that case, you'd be right. But really, I probably care as much about your opinion as you do mine. And in case you're wondering, I think you're an elitist harpy."

A bitter laugh explodes from her. "Well aren't you just a silver-tongued devil."

Tired of this back and forth dance, I ask, "Did you invite us here so you can spy on your son, or did you just want to verbally spar with me?"