Chapter 2

I peeked outside the window and saw a tiny layer of snow on the trees and dotting the sidewalk.

Nooooooo…. I thought.

I’d have to wear to my ratty brown jacket. It was extremely tight so I had to leave the zipper open.

After getting ready, I knocked on my brother’s door.

“Brady?” I called. I didn’t hear anything so I barged in.

He wasn’t there. But it wasn’t unusual; Brady had probably gone to Emily’s, his surprisingly nice girlfriend, house after work.

I guess I would be having breakfast alone, again.

I made some toast and scrambled eggs with a glass of OJ. It was nice having a full glass instead of having to share one with Brady. (To lessen money spent on grocery shopping)

Surprisingly, even though I walked, I was early at school.

I decided to go sit on one of the benches and read. I was currently reading The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. It was a good but sad book. I was close to the finish, so I was really into the book. I brought my face closer to the book as the plot intensified. That was what I loved about books. It was like watching a movie, except you could imagine what the characters looked like yourself, and other stuff too.

Something touched my foot. Startled, my book fell out of my hands and onto the grass. I looked down in between my feet.

Nothing.

Probably was just the grass or something, I thought.

I continued reading.

Something touched my foot again. This time I ignored it.

I continued reading.

Something grabbed my shoulder. That was it.

I turned around and met whatever was behind me with a punch.

“What the hell?!” It said in a strangled voice.

I looked again. It was Chase. He was bent over, holding a hand to his gut.

“Oh my god!! I’m so sorry!” I said, quickly moving closer to him and touching his shoulder.

“That was one hell of a punch.”

“Well, what can I say, I used to take karate when I was younger.”

“Really? What belt were you?” Chris said, looking better.

“Uh… oh that old thing?”

“Yeah that old thing.”

I didn’t really take karate- ever- so I just changed the subject.

“First tell me if you’re okay.”

“I am.”

“How did you know where I was?”

“Are we playing twenty questions here?”

“Maybe. Now answer my question.”

“I will if you answer four of mine.”

I rolled my eyes. “Fine.”

“I was um… looking out for you?”

“That was one. Why?”

“That was um…two for you. Fine. I was stalking you.”

The bell rang, and Chase and I automatically started walking towards the door.