Chapter 9

Ella: ♥ (ˆ⌣ˆԅ)

 I rubbed my face with my hands, clearing any clues of crying from my face.

“I’m hungry, Chase.” I said, my voice coming out low.

“I know. Me too. Lets go eat.” Chase said, moving to open the door. I reached out and touched his shoulder. He looked back.

“Um… I need to tell you something.” I said, biting my lip. It was seriously time to tell him about who I actually was.

Chase ran a hand through his hair. “I do too. Need to tell you something, I mean. But I’m hungry so can we do it inside?”

“Sure, yeah.” I climbed out of the car, staggering. It was obvious that this was a popular place. People were starting to file in and if we didn’t get in soon, we would have to sit on the floor.

I had no idea of what to order since I wasn’t used to going to restaurants for breakfast.

“So, what do you want?!” Chase yelled over the noise of laughter and chattering.

“I don’t know!” I yelled back. “There is so much stuff! I’ll just have what you’re having!”

“Okay!” Chase yelled, closer to my ear. He grinned as I swatted him away.

“Aww, isn’t that cute? Now order.” My head snapped to the person behind the counter. He was a short stumpy man with untamed orange hair and thick stubble. Didn’t look like somebody I’d enjoy crossing.

“… Parker…?” Chase said from my right.

“You know him?” I asked, staring pointedly.

Parker (apparently) grunted. “Why… can’t a man like him know a young handsome man like me?” He said, looking at me.

“I didn’t-“ I started.

“Sure, sure. Will you order now? There are people behind you!” He waved behind us, almost knocking over the tips box.

“’K. We’ll have six pancakes and some hot chocolate.” Chase said. He paid and steered me over to a table in a corner. It was the only one without chairs and those soft-padded type instead.

We settled in and Chase started cramming pancakes into his mouth as I stared in awe. He was on his fourth when he finally noticed me staring.

“Wha?” he said, trying to keep the pancakes in his mouth.

“Nothing.” I said quickly, trying to hide the laugh by coughing obviously.

When the sound of munching slowed to normal pace, I looked over and raised my eyebrows at the half pancake left.

“…Ohhh…” he said, his eyes widening at the sight in front of us. “I’m sorry, but I am a growing boy.”

I waved him off and leaned forward. “I’m not that hungry anyways.”

“But you have to try at least half a pancake from here! Their the best there are!” He said, looking at me like I was the anomaly who’d just eaten five and a half pancakes.

“Nah.”

“Oh, my god, Ella! You have to!”

I sighed. “Give me one solid reason.”

“…Um, it makes you… your skin brighter!” He said, snapping his fingers.

I rolled my eyes. “So your saying these pancakes can act like masks…?

He looked confused. “…Er, sure!”

I looked at him and then started laughing, not bothering to cover it with a cough this time.