Chapter 10

Ella: ♥ (ˆ⌣ˆԅ)

 I got into the driver’s seat of the pickup and held out my hand for the keys. Surprisingly, Chase gave it to me without an argument. I turned the engine on but didn’t drive. I needed to think again about what I was going to do, and it was a good plan, if I may say so myself.

“Um Ella? Not to be rude but where the hell are you trying to go? Because it’s not going to work with us sitting in the parking lot.” Chase said.

“I know.” I said, rolling my eyes. “Where does your dad live?” I tried saying it casually.

A pause.

“Ella… I don’t think this is a great idea.”

“Pfft. You think I don’t know that?”

Chase sighed. “Okay. Fine. But you have to promise to let me do something like this to you… and then we’ll see how you feel.”

“Fine, whatever. Where does your dad live?”

“I’ll tell you what I remember- but don’t trust me to be right.”

I ignored this. “So you turn right or left here?” I asked, reversing out of my parking spot.

“Is he home?” I yelled at Chase across the road.

“No!”

“Are you lying?”

“No!! Besides, if he was at home he would have woken up by now!!” He flailed his arms, as if it would make what he was saying more effective.

I sighed and got out of the pickup. As I crossed the street, Chase went over to the side of the house.

“That was my room.” Chase said, pointing up to a window not too far from us.

“Hmm… while we’re in this rebel mode, why don’t we try to climb into the window?”

“Ella, its you who’s in “this rebel mode-” not me.”

“So does that mean I’ll have to go alone?” I made puppy dog eyes at him.

“Aah! Stop it!” He said, blocking his eyes with his arms but obviously looking through them.

“Say you’ll go with me then.” I replied, keeping my puppy dog eyes but crossing my arms.

“Fine! But never do that- thing- again, okay!?” He said, furrowing his brows and shaking his head. I laughed.

“Okay. So how are we going to do this?” I asked, looking at him.

“Well when I was younger I used to climb this vine thingy…” Chase said, trying to get a hold on a vine beside the window. It was lifted off the ground a bit and I almost “aw-ed” at the thought of a miniature scrawny Chase trying to climb up this exact vine.

“Ella, why are you “aw-ing”?”

“Wha-oh… never mind.” I replied quickly.

“Okay I have a plan.” Chase looked at me and waited for me to nod. I nodded. “I’m going to try to climb up this vine and then I’ll pull you up.” He smiled proudly. “What do you think?”

“I think that was the genius-est plan it was possible for you to come up with, so it’s pretty good for your level of people.” I said, grinning and tucking in my/ Lauren’s loose sleeveless shirt into my/Lauren’s short shorts.

Chase playfully slapped my arm.

“Ow! Watch it, Mr.,” I said, peering at my arm to see a light red mark. I frowned.