Chapter 6

"All hail his Grace, Joffrey of Houses Baratheon and Lannister, the first of his name, King of the Andals and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm." I listened as the messenger readout the scroll. I stopped visiting Lord Stark since I called him a stupid cunt.

"I ordered the council to make all necessary arrangements for my coronation. I wish to be crowned within the fortnight. Today I shall accept oaths of fealty from my loyal councilors." Joffrey said sitting on the throne. Lord Stark waddled closer and handed a letter to Ser Barristan.

"King Robert's seal. Unbroken." The knight broke the seal and read what was written in it. "Lord Eddard Stark is herein named Protector of the Realm, to rule as Regent until the heir comes of age."

"May I see that letter, Ser Barristan?" Cersei reached out waiting for the old knight to hand it to her and she smiled. "Protector of the realm. Is this meant to be your shield, Lord Stark? A piece of paper?" She shredded Robert's letter into pieces.

"Those were the King's words." Ser Barristan gasped, shock covered his face.

"We have a new King now. Lord Eddard, when we last spoke you offered me some counsel. Allow me to return the courtesy. Bend the knee, My Lord. Bend the knee and swear loyalty to my son and we shall allow you to live out your days in the gray waste you call home." Cersei smirked.

"Your son has no claim to the throne." Oh for fucks sake! Lord Stark struggled to keep his balance with the cane, but he managed.

"Liar!" Joffrey yelled, Cersei placed a hand on his arm, trying to calm her son down, and spoke for his part. "You condemn yourself with your mouth, Lord Stark. Ser Barristan, seize this traitor."

"Ser Barristan is a good man, a loyal man. Do him no harm." Ned ordered back.

"You think he stands alone?" Cersei laughed as Gregor Clegane drew his sword. Joffrey whined like the spoiled baby he was and ordered someone to kill Lord Stark.

"Commander! Take the Queen and her children into custody. Escort them back to the royal apartments and keep them there, under guard." Janos Slynt yelled for the men of the Watch as Ned ordered and the Gold Cloaks drew their swords. "I want no bloodshed. Tell your men to lay down their swords. No one needs to die."

"Now!" Lord Baelish shouted. Suddenly, the Gold Cloaks switched sides and attacked the Stark men. Littlefinger sneaked up to Ned and grabbed him from behind, holding a dagger to his throat. "I did warn you not to trust me."

The Gold Cloaks dragged the lord away towards the dungeons and the councilors whispered to themselves as we exited the Throne Room. "That was out of the blue." Cersei walked up to me.

"Yes, it was your Grace. May I ask you something, sister?" She nodded. "Have you ever loved and been with a man that you knew if they found out they would shame you for it?"

Cersei stared at me, a blank expression as she looked at the path Ned was dragged out and then back. "Never mind." I excused myself and headed to my chamber. Violet waited for me and greeted me with a sweet smile.

A shimmering shine of a golden necklace caught my attention when she walked past me to pour me a glass of wine. It was the same necklace I saw when I bumped into a mysterious hooded figure in the hall nights ago. "How long have you been my handmaiden, Violet?"

"Four years, my lady."

"That long?" She smiled. "And how long have you been spying on me for my sister?" Her smile fell, her face turned pale and she shook her head.

"I do not know what you are talking about, my lady."

"How long have you been telling her about my business?"