Chapter 14

Two of the Free Folk carried the deer that Ygritte killed. In the near distance, there was a windmill. I heard Ygritte gasp at the sight, asking Jon if it was a castle, and smiled to myself at her childlike curiosity.

"Do you regret it?" Tormund asked next to me, bringing my attention back, and knew exactly what he was referring to.

"I regret playing into Cersei's trap, but no, I do not regret it. I watched and learned about the horrors of my house, about the name, Lannister. It was best to end it." Tormund nodded, taking my hand in his as we got closer to an old house.

Orell's eagle circled over an old horse breeder's home. We were hiding and waited for the warg's scouting report. "Only one old man and eight good horses."

"What's one old man doing with eight horses?" Tormund squinted and looked at Jon.

"He breeds them for the Watch."

"How's he keep folks from stealing them?" The other ginger questioned.

"The Watch protects him."

"Not today they don't. He's selling horses, he's got some gold in there." Orell smiled. Tormund smiled too, raising an eyebrow, and said that the breeder would have proper steel. "Let's carve him up." Orell unsheathed a dagger.

"We just take the horses and go," Jon said.

"The old man's no threat, Tormund," I whispered, touching his shoulder and watching the Free Folk and Jon. Orell looked at Tormund and scoffed. "I keep telling you."

"He's an old man. A spear through the heart's a better way to die than coughing up your last with no one but your horses to hear." Ygritte told me, but Jon shook his head, looking at Tormund.

"The Watch might send a few men looking for a horse thief. They'll send a lot more to hunt down murderers."

Tormund laughed. "I hope so. Killing crows in their castle is tough. Killing them out here in the open, that's what we do." He announced to the rest of the Free Folk. "Spread out. Surround the hut and move in."

The Free Folk ran toward the old man's home. "What are we going to do?" I whispered to Jon as we ran alongside each other. Jon smacked his sword, Longclaw, against a rock, alerting the man and his horses.

Upon hearing his horses moving about, the old man stepped outside and saw us running toward his home. He got on one of the horses and started riding off. Ygritte prepped her bow and arrow, aiming for the old man, but Jon screamed her name causing her to hit a tree.

"Clear the barn!" Tormund yelled and a few of the Free Folk nodded before heading in.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!" I heard the old man as I turned the corner of the house, the Free Folk surrounded him and his horse outside of the windmill. "I yield. I yield."

Orell looked up at the stone structure, eyeing it suspiciously, and told Tormund, who stood next to him, that he heard shouting from up there.

"Thunder," I spoke up, earning a death glare from the warg and a snarl. "I know the difference between shouting and thunder."

"Maybe it's ghosts." Tormund chuckled, slapping Orell's shoulder before he approached the old man, who was sitting on the ground. The man quickly pulled a knife out on Tormund. Ygritte got her bow and arrow out and aimed for him. "That won't help you, grandpa."

The ginger Free Folk stuck his hand out, asking for the knife and the breeder gave it to him. Tormund tossed it to me and I examined it. An old blade, but would still cause damage. "Where are you riding?"

"Doesn't matter now, does it?" The old man sighed.

"No, it doesn't matter now." Tormund agreed.

"Cut his throat or he'll tell the crows we're here," Orell said, his eagled continued to circle the windmill. Tormund unsheathed his sword and the man asked if we could at least let him stand, to go with a bit of dignity.