The Rift

Shadepool's POV
I was surrounded by total blackness. I felt nothing, as if I was suspended in time. Everything was strangely calm and stagnant. Was I dead? Where was StarClan? Was my fate really to be alone and blind? I was beginning to fell desperate, the shadows closing in around me, tugging me into an endless void. My blindness was pierced by a spear of light, tearing through the blackness. There was a faint white dot across the horizon, growing with each passing second.

"One shadow will shine in the darkness." I tried to see the speaker in the growing brightness, straining my eyes. The blackness was going from gray to white, the shade steadily whitening. The light grew brighter and brighter, until the world was filled with pain.

I felt cold stone beneath my dark pelt. My whole body was throbbing with pain. Next I opened my eyes, dust stinging the thin membrane protecting them. I struggled to my paws, biting my tongue to hold back my scream of pain. Everything ached, and my paws were unsteady. Looking around my surroundings, I found all of it to be unfamiliar. We were near the WindClan border, but now I stood at the bottom of a steep ledge.

Suddenly, it all came back to me. The breaking earth, and falling into nothingness. I must have fallen from the ledge, as the earthquake caused it to shift. Briarfur and I had been out hunting when the quake hit. Briarfur! In all my terror and confusion I had forgotten about the brown she cat. Horror flooded my mind as I realized that my friend wasn't here. Calling out, I scrambled up the side of the ridge I had fallen down.

She was laying in a pile of broken rocks, about halfway down. Her leg was twisted in an unnatural angle. "Briarfur," I cried aloud. The she cat gave no response. Was she dead? I quickened my pace, as I getting there sooner would make her be alive. I was flooded with relief as I saw the rise and fall of her chest.

When I was a tail length away Briarfur stirred. "Shadepool...What happened? " She asked warily. "I think there was an earthquake," I answered, "I'm not sure where we are though." Briarfur made to stand up, then let out a pained hiss. It was only then that I saw the full extent of her injury.

Her leg was bloody and mangled, as if a giant dog had picked it up and thrashed it around.

"You can't possibly walk on that!" I exploded. She flinched at my words. "I'm fine," she insisted. "It's just a little sore." I growled at her, "Stop it! Your hurt, and you need help. Now let's go find Juniperpetal, and heal you." Her eyes widened in shock at my outburst, her muzzle slightly parted. Encouraged, I pressed on.