Chapter One

Shadekit's POV

Shadekit was bouncing up and down with excitement. She was becoming an apprentice."Shadekit,", scolded Dovefur. "Your fur is filthy!". She looked at my spotless coat, the exception a few twigs in her tail. Her mother started licking at her fur. "Mum!", Shadekit cried, irritated. Dovefur started doing the same to her littermates, Snowkit and Blazekit. Snowkit wasn't paying much attention, her crystal blue eyes were darting around, and her tail was twitching nervously. Her brother was calm, but his eyes were filled with excitement.

"All cats who are old enough to catch their own prey, meet below Highrock for a clan meeting!", yowled Windstar. The rest of the clan came out of their dens, and various corners of the camp. Shadekit spied her father's ginger pelt next her mother's gray one. They sat proudly near the medicine cat's den, talking with Poolcloud and Brackenclaw. "Blazekit, step forward.", called Windstar. Shadekit's brother padded up to the High Rock. "Snowkit and Shadekit as well.". "Do you promise to defend this clan, and learn the warrior code?", the gray and white she cat spoke.

"I do.", said Blazekit meowed, confidence filling his voice. "I-I...do.", Snowkit whispered, trembling, her voice barely audible. Windstar's green eyes bored into Shadekit's blue ones, as if she was contemplating her loyalty, causing her to shift with unease. The ThunderClan leader obviously didn't trust her, she had no idea why, but Shadekit would prove her wrong. "I do.", she spoke evenly, her eyes never leaving Windstar's. The she cat blinked, looking temporarily shocked, then that calm steely look filled her gaze once again.

"From this day forward, until she received her warrior name, this apprentice shall be known as Shadepaw.", Windstar exclaimed, making sure her voice filled the camp. "Her mentor shall be Stormclaw. Shadepaw padded up to her mentor steadily, even though she was trembling on the inside. Stormclaw looked down at her proudly. Shadepaw moved forward to touch noses with her mentor. As he pulled away Stormclaw whispered quietly, "It's okay to be nervous." Shadepaw blinked in acknowledgement.

  This procedure continued with her littermates. Blazepaw's new mentor was Stonesky, who looked up happily at his mentor. Snowpaw got Lilyfur. However, she looked as if she was about to faint.

"Blazepaw, Shadepaw, Snowpaw!", her clanmates cheered. Out of the corner of her eye, Shadepaw spied her parents doing their best to make sure their yowls were heard above the others. "May Bramblepaw and Snakepaw come stand below Highrock.", Windstar added. "These apprentices have shown their loyalty to ThunderClan and the warrior code.". The two apprentices looked up, startled."Bramblepaw, you have shown your loyalty and dedication to the warrior code". "Snakepaw, you have shown that you are a worthy ThunderClan warrior.", spoke Windstar. "I, Windstar, leader of ThunderClan, call upon our warrior ancestors to look down on these apprentices," stated the she cat. "They have learned the ways of your noble warrior code, and I commend them to you as warriors in their turn."

Padding up to Snakepaw, she continued, "Snakepaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend this Clan, even at the cost of your life?". "I do", Snakepaw replied with conviction. "Then by the powers of StarClan I give you your warrior name. Snakepaw, from this moment on you will be known as Snakesong. The newly appointed Snakesong vame up and licked Windstar's shoulder, for that was the custom. Windstar then turned to Bramblepaw. "Bramblepaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and protect and defend this Clan, even at the cost of your life?" "I do", Bramblepaw meowed, taking care to stay composed, even though his tail was twitching with excitement. Windstar went on, "Then by the powers of StarClan I give you your warrior name. Bramblepaw, from this moment on you will be known as Bramblenose." "Snakesong, Bramblenose! Snakesong, Bramblenose!", the clan cheered. The new warrior's former mentors, Nightfoot and Ashpelt, looked around proudly.