Chapter 10

Sadie POV

Obviously, I hadn't spoken to Simon since last rehearsal. Which would explain the dread that filled my entire being as I stared at the gym doors. This was becoming a recurring theme for me. I'd have to start switching this up.

Aedon promised to walk in with me, so she stood waiting for me to grab the door. Her protective instinct had only worsened since Friday. Forgetting her promise to watch over me was not gonna happen. I gave a small smile and headed into the gym. Last night, as I anxiously stared at my ceiling, I had decided to carry myself better. Maybe this way I'd be less of a target for Brooklyn. I doubted it, but it definitely would make Aedon feel better if I did. So, I marched through those doors with my head high. Or at least higher than normal.

Winona led us in a shorter warmup before dismissing us for a short water break. We were told to meet with our partner on the dance floor afterwards. I made my way to Aedon where we had placed our water bottles. I grabbed my drink and sat on the nearby bench. My head in my hands for many reasons. I was mostly praying thanks for Winona's mercy, but also in dread of what happened in three minutes.

"Have you seen British boy or Brooklyn today?" I felt Aedon take the place next to me. All I did was shake my head. I purposely avoided them. Brooklyn had gotten in the same line as Simon for warmups and I made sure I was in the furthest one.

"Well. That might be a good sign." I gave a small shrug before lifting my head up. Laying it on the wall behind us, I let out an exhausted sigh. "Or not, okayyyy. You know you should make Simon come to you today. That way you'll avoid Brooklyn."

"I guess that's true."

"It'll be fine," Aedon said. "I'll wait with you if you want," she offered when our break was over.

"No it's fine. Go find your partner." I waved her off and lifted myself off the bench. My legs ached. Boy, this just keeps getting better and better.

"Hey, Sadie." The sound of my name came from Aishini walking past. "Cute top," they said and kept walking.

"Thanks," I called over my shoulder. The longline sports bra I had on was new, Mama Jane had bought it for me when I made the team. It was cute. How random though.

I found a spot on the floor and waited for Simon to approach me. Now that I thought about it, I had always walked to him. I doubt he'd even think about looking for me. A long moment passed before the tall dancer made his way over.

"Sorry, I didn't see you." The way he stood was similar to on Friday. Smaller.

"It's fine," I sent a polite smile to him. Simon only have a small nod in return and stared at Coach. He was acting kinda like me. Avoidant. Cautious. Was this how people saw me?

"A picture would last longer, Sadie Jane." My heart skipped at being caught staring. I didn't even know I had been staring. I focused back.  Sure enough I was staring right at his side profile. A smirk played on his lips as he continued to look at the front of the gym. There he was. I turned my attention to where his was. I exhaled softly, almost relieved at his sudden personality switch.

"Okay. Today, Winona will continue to work on the first part of the lyrical jazz duet." Coach instructed. "We will have you perfect this for the audition on Friday. Then, the selected pair will have the honor to learn the rest with Winona.

Later today, we will then begin to teach the solo for the group number that we have been learning since day one. Auditions for that will be on Monday. The chosen pair will be exempt from that, however. As a way to keep it fair, the duet pair will be taken out of consideration. Don't take this as a sign to slack on one audition in hopes of getting the other. We will be observing this next week to decide the groups for the two other numbers.