Chapter 18

Sadie POV

"I want a fucking divorce!"

"Sadie?

"Matteo?"

The rest of the night had been a blur. The only thing that was on my mind were those a words. A constant replay of my family falling apart. Right in front of me. I don't know when I stopped crying. It was somewhere between me storming out of the house and ending up in Aedon's bed. I hadn't gone home last night. I couldn't bring myself too. Aedon and my grandparents took turns all night consoling me and Matteo. Mostly me. On top of my parents unplanned divorce announcement, I had taken away Aedon's night. The five of us still managed to celebrate briefly with cake. But we could only stay happy for so long after had blown out her candles.

When Aedon's alarm went off, I was already awake. I doubt I even got an hour of sleep last night. I mostly stared at the ceiling, pleading for sleep. To wake up and it all be a dream. It never came. Aedon and I crashed in her bed, while Matteo slept on the floor. He'd never admit it, but I'm sure he didn't want to be alone last night. His excuse had been he was used to sleeping in a dorm with people. So instead of taking the guest bedroom, he had taken the floor. I was surprised he hadn't curled up with me and Aedon in the middle of the night.

Aedon got up before I did and started to get ready. I just continued to lay there. I really didn't even know if I could move.

"Come on," Matteo's voice came from my right. He was now standing over the bed, his clothes from yesterday still on. So was I. "Mama Jane said she made pancakes for our birthday."

"I don't know if I can't eat."

"Let's just try to. You need to eat before you go to dance anyway." Matteo pulled me off the bed and we made our way downstairs. The mentioned pancakes were already set up on the dining table, along with a spread of fruit and juices. Two plates had a stack of pancakes, each with 18 candles exactly lit on the top.

"Happy Birthday," Papa came from his room and sat at the table. "I can't believe you three are 18 already." Him and my grandma shared a bittersweet look. They sang a rendition of 'Happy Birthday'. Matteo and I blew out our candles. I managed to mutter a small thank you as I attempted to eat. Matteo didn't seem to have the same problem as he inhaled his stack and half of mine. With his help, I finished my plate.

"That was really good. Thank you, Mama," I smiled across the table at my grandma.

"Of course," she returned a smile, hers just as sad as mine. "I was going to wait until tonight, but here is your presents." She pulled out two bags from behind her seat and pushed them our direction. "I don't think it will hurt to open them early."

On her cue, Matteo and I opened our respective gifts. I reached into the blue bag and pulled out a dress. I held it up in front of me to get a better look. It was white dress with sage green flowers printed across it. This screamed cottage core, with the square neckline that cinched across its top all the way to the beginning of it's short sleeves. I loved it.

"Thank you, it's perfect." I said and turned to see what Matteo had gotten. It was a red stained Swiss Army knife, with something engraved on it. A closer look at it and it read Vera.

"That was my father's knife and it was his father's and so one," Papa began to explain. "This has been passed down from generation to generation for years. My dad got this when he was eighteen, shortly before he came to America. And he gave it to me on my eighteenth birthday. Since I don't have a son of my own, well I thought a grandson-" Papa was cut off by Matteo stepping out of his chair to hug him.

"This is amazing. Thank you so much," Matteo smiled brightly. He had always been the sentimental type, so an heirloom was probably going to cause him to burst.  I'm surprised he was jumping around.