Dancing On My Own

#104daysofsummervacation
#104daysofchenford
#Day31

Song: Dancing On My Own, by Robyn

A/N: I know Calum Scott made this song popular but since it's Lucy's perspective, using the female version for reference just made sense.

"Hey Luce, did you hear about Tim?"
"What about him, Nolan?"
"He's been seeing Jerry's daughter."
"Ashley?"
He nodded. "The very same." 

Does she love you better than I can?

Okay. So...Tim had a girlfriend. That was good. Right? Well, of course, it was. He deserved to have someone who would love him and help repair the damage that Isobel had caused. Definitely. And Ashley, Ashley was a fortunate woman. 

This would definitely be something she teased Tim about. On Monday.

I just gotta see it for myself

She was supposed to wait till Monday. Obviously. So, obviously, she hadn't known that they would be at this restaurant. Despite the fact that it was a couples' hotspot. Or the fact that she had fished information out of Angela in exchange for a night out. At that restaurant. In a small corner booth. 

Why did this feel like deja vu? 

Only this time, she wasn't in a truck with her best friend on one side and an array of stakeout snacks on the other. 

I'm in the corner
Watching you kiss her

Okay, they were kissing over Italian cuisine and red wine. But they were together. It was normal. It certainly wasn't something she should shy away from.

But she was. She was hiding her face in her menu, drawing concerned glances from Angela, who seemed to have a bit of a revelation as she glanced between the couple under the spotlight and Lucy in the dim corner booth. 

"Let's get you out of here," she said kindly. 
Tim never even realized that they were there. 

Which had been the point. Right? 
She had gotten all dolled up because it was girl's night. Right?
Definitely for not some juvenile reason such as, maybe, just maybe making him realize what he was missing out on. 

Missing out on in her. She was sure that Ashley was great. 
But Ashley could never be enough for him.

She could never care about him as much as she did.
She could never worry about him as much as she did.
She could never have his back as much as she did.
She could never understand him as much as she did.
She would never love him as much as she did.

"Wanna go home?" Angela asked her. 
"No."

The last place she could be right now was home. It was too quiet. She needed noise and lights and distractions. 

I'm just gonna dance all night
I'm all messed up, I'm so outta line
Stilettos on broken bottles
I'm spinning around in circles

"We should go," Angela said.
"Why..." she whined.
"Because you are drunk off your cute ass and flirting with everything. And I mean everything. You tried to pick up that napkin holder. And I do not mean in the normal way."

She threw her hands in the air.
"WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME? I just realized that I'm in love, and he's with somebody else. He's untouchable."
She crouched down and dissolved into tears.

"Okay, yeah, I'm calling damage control," she heard Angela say. But it was so hard to hear her through the blinding of the lights, the pounding of the music, and the haze of the alcohol. 

"Get your ass down here. Lucy's drunk and upset and I don't know what to do." There was a brief pause, likely where Tim asked for the address. "The Stratostrobe. It's a nightclub. Yeah, whatever, she's the one who dragged me here-" "Why? I'm not even going to dignify you of all people with an answer." 

Another pause.

"OF COURSE you did something Tim. We'll deal with that later. Can you please just come to get us? Oh, of course, you are already on your way. Officer Bradford, don't you remember the rule about phones and driving? Oh...the cup phone thingy. Well, you've got me there."

I keep dancing on my own 

At this point, Lucy had wandered off and continued dancing under the strobe lights. 
Angela sighed and sat back. At this point, all she could do was make sure no one made a move on her. Drunk, ditzy, and dismal Lucy was far from an easy containment job.

He walked through the door ten minutes later.
"Where is she?"
"Hello to you too, Batman."
"Really, Ang? Now."
She pointed to Lucy, who was dead center on the dance floor, living her best, sad drunk life. He sighed, looking to Angela, who simply shrugged. "Look, this is bigger than something I should be sticking my nose into. So I'll stay out of it."
He raised his eyebrows.
"Okay...for now. Just go get her."

A/N: I'm sensing a part two in the future...