In The Public Eye

Word Count: 3279

Rating: Mature/Explicit

Warnings: Spencer getting angry, phone sex, awkwardness, angst

Summary: The Reader and Spencer talk on the phone after his case about what they're going to do next week. They run into one another at JJ's and the Reader's kids soccer game o.O

Don't hate JJ with this chapter... she's being protective and doesn't know the situation yet

The case that called Spencer away from you was over two hours after he arrived back in DC

It pissed him off, to say the least, that local police didn't take care of it like they easily could have, and deprived him of a full day with you.

It was probably good in the long run, though. He'd tried to hold himself back longer before waking you up with his thrusts earlier, and those three little words slipped out of his mouth before he could stop them.

I love you. I love you, I love you, I love you.

And in your sleep, you'd said it back.

For a moment he'd been so taken aback, he was sure you'd awoken, his heart exploding in his chest as he never thought he'd hear you say it. But you had still been asleep, probably not even thinking you were talking to anyone let alone him.

His control snapped after that, and all he could think about was showing you how he felt, because he wasn't brave enough to say it again. Not yet

Even if he never heard it again, Spencer would spend the rest of his life thinking about the way you'd said it, I love you, emphasis on the you.

Spencer trudged up the stairs to his apartment, balancing his takeout in one arm while he fished his keys out of his pocket with the other. As he stepped in the door he tripped over the threshold he'd stepped over hundreds of thousands of times in the almost twenty years he'd lived there and spilled his precious food all over the floor.

He harshly tossed his bags over the edge of the couch, his bad mood only increasing. His forehead throbbed angrily from pinching his brows together all afternoon as he went about cleaning up his mess.

When he was done he shoved his bags onto the floor and plopped down on the couch. Leaning forward, elbows on his knees, Spencer cradled his aching head in his hands and sighed.

The days spent at work were getting longer, draining him with each hour spent looking at crime scene photos and casefiles. He was almost forty years old, and each case made him feel another year older.

He had vacation time coming up, and after prison Emily made sure each of the team took the full two weeks whether they wanted to or not. They all deserved their breaks, and the years being dragged from time off had been left in the past after he was released from Milburn.