Chapter 23 - The Scarlet Freak

Hyra's pov

As I follow behind Tony, I pause at the bottom of the ramp. He glances back and offers me a supportive smile as he continues up.

"The gates of Hel are filled with the screams of his victims," the echoing voice of my booming brother is followed by a chorus of groans, "Uh, but, not the screams of the dead, of course. No no, uh...wounded screams, mainly whimpering, a great deal of complaining and tales of sprained deltoids and, and uh... and gout."

Tony spreads his arms widely, greeting the Avengers inside, "Hey Banner, Dr. Cho's on her way in from Seoul, is it okay if she sets up in your lab?"

"Uh, yeah, she knows her way around," Banner's quiet and uncomfortable voice replies politely.

"Thanks," Stark comments as the technological ping of JARVIS sounds, "Tell her to prep everything, Barton's gonna need the full treatment."

"Very good, sir," his AI voice is polite as ever.

"JARVIS, take the wheel."

"Yes, sir. Approach vector is locked."

I take a cautious step up the ramp, my boot clanging lightly on the metal panels. Tony pauses, and the hum of collapsing armour ceases before it even begins, "And I've brought a... guest."

"If you've kidnapped one of those enhanced kids, Tony," Steve starts with a condescending tone, "that's completely against the contract of-"

"No, I don't think you'd be able to catch that slippery, silver speedster even if you wanted to, Cap," Tony admits, as I take the final steps up to their view.

"And I wouldn't even bother with the Scarlet Freak, Capsicle," I muster up a smile and notice a few of them physically jump a little, "she'll turn you into a star-spangled sparkler before you can ask yourself 'Is she ginger, or is it just the lighting?'"

"Hyra?!" Thor booms, a beaming smile slapped on his face. He's quick to rush over and crush me in a bone splintering hug, "It's amazing to see you, sister!"

"A-nd yo-u, Tho-r," I gasp out, patting his back awkwardly. It quickly turns into a more desperate jabbing as my lungs begin to quietly scream, "I c-an't brea-th-"

"Oh, yes," he immediately lets me go, dropping me back onto the floor with a light clang, "sorry..."

His smile never dims, but he steps away and allows me to be greeted by the others.

"Miss Odindottir," Steve extends his hand politely, quickly dusting off his glove when he notices is splattered with mud and debris, "A pleasure to see you again, ma'am."

"Seriously, Captain," I accept his hand with a firm shake, "It's Hyra."

"Cyrus?" a weak mumble comes from behind me. I turn on the spot to face an injured and beaten-up Clint. I offer him a smile as he props himself up on his healthy arm, "What are you doing here?"

"Good to see you too, Clint," I joke, swerving the question immediately. I notice him wince slightly as the accelerating Quinjet jolts forward. A nervous and zoned-out Bruce offers me a simple nod as I sit down opposite him.

Apparently finding great interest in ordering and reordering a stack of supplies, Natasha pointedly avoids all eye contact.

"It feels good, yeah?" Tony turns to Thor, gesturing to the sceptre which lies securely on a stand, "I mean, you've been after this thing since SHIELD collapsed. Not that I haven't enjoyed our little raiding parties, but..."