Chapter 9: Closet

Stephen Strange

I am still really sad about Wanda beating me. This was my one chance to prove myself to the rest of my friends, and Wong, and Spider-Man, but I failed, and now I look like a loser. I am so powerful to everyone else, but to Wanda, I'm just like a weakling. She just plays with me and makes it look like I have a chance, but I don't. Why does she have all the power and I don't?

Flying around New York City, I saw a dark silhouette swinging around, looking like a lunatic. It was probably Spider-Man, and by the looks of it, he got a new suit. I don't know how he managed that - I mean, he's just a poor, depressed college student.

"Hey, Web-Head, what are you doing out here? And what is that dump you're wearing?" I yelled.

He looked down to the ground, swinging towards me. "It's my new suit - well, not really," he mumbled the last part. Then, he said quietly, "America ran away again."

"WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?" I yelled, and Spider-Man flinched.

"She ran away because I looked like a kidnapper according to her!"

"Well, you do, you horrible excuse for a human," I said as a matter-of-factly.

"Isn't like the 5th time in like four days or something?" Spider-Man said.

"Probably, but I've lost count. I wonder where she is?"

"I don't think she's with Wanda, so she could be anywhere."

It was nighttime, so I didn't really want to look, but I didn't say that out loud.

"Come on, let's go look for her," Spider-Man said.

I sighed. "She's a survivor. She'll be fine on her own. I was just about to go home and go to bed."

"Are you a good superhero or not?"

"Ugh, fine."

We flew off together, and we met on top of the Chrysler building. The view was spectacular from up here, and I'd never really gotten a good look at the entire city. That wasn't really my thing.

"Beautiful isn't it."

"Yeah," I said awkwardly. Spider-Man could be so weird sometimes.

I could see Wanda's small little cabin from here, but I dismissed it. America would be stupid to go back there. Wanda was a psychopath, and I knew that for a fact.

"So what happened with you and Wanda?" Spider-Man asked stupidly, scratching his head.

"Wanda is a psycho, and stay away from her, she is lying about something and I can't figure out what it is."

"Wanda doesn't seem like the psychopath type," Spider-Man said, and I almost slapped him.

"She literally tried to attack me!"

"America said that you were the one that went after her first."

I was silent. How could she betray me like that? I am the smartest person in the world, and now I look like an absolute fool! "She lied! Wanda has her under a little spell, I can feel it."

"Why would America lie, and maybe, but why would Wanda put America under a spell?"

"Because Wanda's evil," I said, feeling proud of myself.

"I think you're the only one that still believes that."

I narrowed my eyes, sighing deeply. Was he right? Am I the bad guy now? "Fine. Let's go to Wanda's cabin right now and talk to her," I said, taking control.