Christmas

I swung my legs over the bed and rested my stiff feet on the wooden floor. Swiftly, I grabbed a thick wool blanket and wrapped it around my shoulders. The stairs where an act of God trying not to wake Undertaker up with all the creaking steps. I went to the kitchen, made myself a cup of tea, and munched on a biscuit. After the small breakfast, I walked into the main area and bent down, rapping on a coffin lid.

Within seconds pale, black nailed hands slowly wrapped themselves around the edges like spider legs. Undertaker pushed the lid off and sat up, looking around with his brilliant green eyes. "Always on time." He said with a grin after seeing me, which must have been dreadfully blurry. This factor made me think about how he functions on a daily basis.

"Undertaker?" I asked, gaining his attention as he settled the lid back on.

"Hmm?" He asked, looking at me.

"Since reapers are practically blind and they need glasses, how come you don't wear any? I don't mean to be nosy, but I was just wandering." I asked, tapping my nails on the glass cup. There was only silence except for the tinking sound I was making.

"When a grim reaper retires, they set down their glasses. It is difficult for me, but I manage." He said, walking to the kitchen for breakfast.

'But you're practically blind!' I thought. The day went on as usual, Undertaker repairing bodies for burial and me sitting up in my room, watching the powdery snow falling to the muddy ground below. The pretty snowflakes were hypnotic in a beautiful way. I eventually had to tear my eyes away from the window and went downstairs to make lunch for the both of us. As I sat the table, Undertaker came in with pieces of ice quickly melting on his black coat. In his hands he held letters from the mailbox outside.

"You have one!" He said, tossing it onto the table before me. It was a red letter, matching the holidays with a familiar royal blue symbol. I broke the seal and begun to read the invite.

Dear Clara

I, Ciel Phantomhive, have invited you to my Christmas party. It starts on Christmas Eve at noon; and will end on Christmas Day at noon. You are welcome to bring any number of quests as long as you send a letter before hand telling us if you wish to attend and how many people you are bringing. It is not necessary for you to bring Christmas gifts, but you may if you so desire.

The party will last well into the night so we will gladly provide over night stay. I will send a carriage for you at eleven, we wish to see you there. You are always welcome to stay.

Sincerely, Ciel Pahntomhive

"Undertaker?" I asked as I slipped the invite back into the envelope. Undertaker looked up from his soup, a noodle dangling from the corner of his mouth. "Ciel has invited me to a Christmas party. He said I could bring a guest."

"May I?" He reached from across the table, asking for the letter. I handed it to him and he read it in no time. "Well," he propped his feet onto the table and leaned back in his chair. "It's your first Christmas, so how about going to the plaza? You will, after all, be receiving gifts no doubt; so why don't we return the favor? I'm sure Ciel would enjoy a nice gift."

"Thank you Undertaker!" I went around the table and hugged him.

"We'll be leaving soon." He said, giving me a warning to get dressed quickly. I tore out of the kitchen and clambered up the steps; every single one creaking.

...

I tapped the boxes that was on my lap. They were small, but I think Sebastian and Ciel would enjoy them. My other presents were stacked above on the roof. One for each of the servants. There was a rather large one that was meant for Clara Phantomhive. I was pleased that I was giving back to them. Now I truly knew why humans were so fond of this holiday.

Undertaker sat across from me. He had removed his hat and had his silver hair tied back into a ponytail. His bangs remained in front but they were combed better. I was strange seeing him in a suit for a proper gentlemen. He too had a couple of boxes on his lap. One I knew was for Ciel, but the other one I had no idea about.

As we neared the manor, my stomach became gittery with nerves. I could see the lights in the windows, the newly cleared paths, a couple of wreaths on the front doors. To me it was utterly beautiful. As the carriage came to a stop, I stood with the boxes and the door opened. Outside was Finnian in a winter suit. His nose as pink as ever.

"Clara!" Finny cried as he swept me from the carriage step and hugged me like there was no tomorrow. I had managed to save the boxes in time before he could crush them. I hugged him back with my free arm.

"Finny, what are you doing outside? It's freezing!" I said while tapping his pink nose.

"Sebastian made me; besides, I like it out here!" he led me to he door while Undertaker smiled from behind. Warm golden light flooded the main room. There was no servants, but their was Tanaka. He smiled, recognizing me.

"Welcome back, Clara." He took my hand and laid a tender kiss on it. He led the way while Undertaker took my arm. We entered the dining room were lunch would be served. Instantly, I was pounced on by two more people.

"Look at you, stunning!" Meyrin said as she inspected my dress which must have cost Undertaker a pretty penny. I smiled and hugged her again. Next was Bard who wasn't as gentle. He swooped me into a giant bear hug, spinning me around while I laughed like never before.

"Okay, okay! I miss you too." I said while ruffling his hair.

"Hey, I just combed it!" he said while brushing my hand away. I looked at it again and smiled.

"It looks the same as always!" I said while grinning.

"Yeah..." Bard said while trying to comb it back down. Meyrin and I laughed until a sudden young voice made us stop in a heartbeat.

"Clara Hayes," Ciel spoke. Mayrin and Bard left me and Undertaker to Ciel and Sebastian. I looked at Ciel who was dressed in red to fit the season while Sebastian was dressed in his usual butler attire. Sebastian had a single piece of holly pinned to his chest. "I do hope you will stay the night? I heard there will be yet another snow tonight and the roads would be unfitted to travel on."

"Is would be a pleasure to stay." I said. Ciel gave a small smile and swept off to the side to visit with a colleague. Sebastian looked at me with his fiery eyes, glancing over to Undertaker.

"I'll be back, love." Undertaker said and kissed my head before making his way to the impressive display of sweets. I looked back at Sebastian, holding the stare.

"Care for a walk? This room appears to be a bit stuffy." Sebastian asked.

"I would love to." Sebastian offered his arm which I took. We walked out of the room and into the hallway.

"So, how has your stay been at Undertakers?" Sebastian asked once we were out of earshot.

"Nosey today are we?" I asked. Sebastian chuckled and placed his hand over mine.

"Just curious as always." We both laughed but it didn't last long. The sound of glass shattering and the bullet going through my skull ended all sound.