Chapter I The Twister

Let's go, Toto," Dorothy encouraged her faithful companion as they strolled along the dusty road that intersected the vast prairies near their Kansas abode

Let's go, Toto," Dorothy encouraged her faithful companion as they strolled along the dusty road that intersected the vast prairies near their Kansas abode. It was the end of another school day, and Dorothy was heading home. Toto always accompanied her on these walks, going back home during class hours. Their farm, where Dorothy resided with her Aunt Em and Uncle Henry, was less than a mile away. However, on their route, they had to pass by Miss Hamilton's residence. Miss Hamilton, the mayor of the western half of Dorothy's county, was a wealthy but cruel spinster. Her equally mean sister, who once ruled the eastern half, had moved to Cottonwood Falls and become a nurse.

Usually, Dorothy managed to pass by Miss Hamilton's property without any confrontations with the cantankerous old lady. However, there were unlucky days when Dorothy faced her wrath. The first encounter happened on Dorothy's first day of school when she unknowingly took a shortcut through Miss Hamilton's property. This led to Miss Hamilton chasing Dorothy and Toto with her umbrella. In a defensive move, Toto bit Miss Hamilton on the leg, causing her to consider legal action against Aunt Em and Uncle Henry. Luckily, Aunt Em struck a deal with Miss Lurch, covering the medical costs and agreeing to keep Dorothy and Toto away from her property.

As Dorothy walked by Miss Hamilton's house, she noticed the absence of the old lady on her front porch, which brought her a sense of relief. However, just as Dorothy and Toto were about to pass by, the gate swung open abruptly, and an angry Miss Hamilton stormed out to confront Dorothy. "Dorothy Gale, someone or something has been digging in my garden.. I suspect it was your dog," accused Miss Hamilton. "Toto has not been digging in your garden, Miss Hamilton," retorted Dorothy. Miss Hamilton narrowed her eyes and threatened, "If I catch him in my garden, I will personally take him to the sheriff. Do you understand?" Dorothy glared back at the old woman and turned to walk away.

 Do you understand?" Dorothy glared back at the old woman and turned to walk away

At that moment, Miss Burke drove by in her buggy. Miss Burke, Dorothy's kind-hearted teacher and the most beautiful lady in the county, offered Dorothy a ride home. "Would you like me to give you a lift, Dorothy?" she kindly asked. "Thank you, Miss Burke," Dorothy gratefully accepted. "It can be quite a long journey home, and dealing with Miss Hamilton can be quite a nuisance at times." "I understand," Miss Burke replied. Dorothy hopped into the buggy, and they set off towards her home.