Chapter X The Emerald City of Oz

As the Guardian of the Gate led Dorothy and her friends through the vibrant streets of the Emerald City, the locals gazed at the peculiar travelers with a mix of wonder and intrigue

As the Guardian of the Gate led Dorothy and her friends through the vibrant streets of the Emerald City, the locals gazed at the peculiar travelers with a mix of wonder and intrigue. Yet, the travelers were far too captivated by the enchanting sights of this extraordinary city to notice the stares. As they wandered further, they stumbled upon a whimsical toy store, overflowing with delightful green dolls of every imaginable kind, standing proudly next to a cheeky green jack-in-the-box, gleaming toy trains, and colorful building blocks. Nearby, elegant restaurants buzzed with life, where patrons savored fragrant green tea poured from ornate jeweled cups, indulging in the delectable taste of freshly baked green scones. One enterprising vendor even peddled refreshing green lemonade, and to Dorothy's astonishment, the children eagerly exchanged their green pennies—the official currency of the Emerald City—for this delightful treat. The air was alive with the magic of discovery, each corner revealing a new marvel in this captivating realm.

Finally, their journey led them to an enormous gate, the majestic entrance to the Palace of Oz. Standing guard before the gate was a formidable soldier dressed in a resplendent green uniform, his long green beard adding an air of wisdom. The Guardian of the Gates introduced them to the soldier, proclaiming, "Behold, visitors who demand an audience with the Great Oz!"

Curiosity gleamed in the soldier's eyes as he questioned their purpose. "What brings you here?" he asked, taken aback by their audacity.

The Guardian replied, "This young girl hails from a distant land called Kansas, seeking the Wizard's aid to return home. The Scarecrow yearns for a brain, the Tin Woodman craves a heart, and the Lion seeks courage from the great Oz."

The soldier hesitated, well aware that the Wizard granted audiences sparingly. "You know as well as I do that the Wizard doesn't see just anyone. You must have a serious purpose... and even then," he warned. However, when the Guardian pointed out Dorothy's Ruby Slippers, the soldier's resolve wavered, and he finally relented. "Very well, step inside," he said, opening the gate. "I shall lead you to the throne room forthwith."

As they ventured beyond the Palace Gates, an arched landing of grand style welcomed them, guiding their steps towards a vast courtyard. There, a gathering of elegantly dressed courtiers stood in awe, their eyes aglow with fascination as they caught sight of Dorothy and her companions. With a commanding presence, the soldier led them to a formidable edifice, its entrance exuding an aura of grandeur. Unlocking the door, he beckoned the travelers inside, revealing a resplendent chamber adorned with a marble floor and opulent furniture, all adorned in vibrant shades of emerald green.

With utmost courtesy, he addressed them, his words dripping with grace, "Please, make yourselves at ease while I inform Oz of your arrival.