Chapter XIX Glinda, the Good Witch of the South

Before venturing to meet Glinda, they were escorted to a chamber within the Castle, where Dorothy refreshed herself, and the Lion vigorously shook the dust out of his majestic mane. The Scarecrow diligently patted himself into his finest shape, while the Woodman meticulously polished his gleaming tin and oiled his joints. Once they were all impeccably presentable, they followed the soldier girl into a grand room, where the enchanting Witch Glinda sat upon a magnificent throne. She appeared both stunningly beautiful and remarkably youthful in their eyes. Her luscious red hair cascaded down her shoulders, complementing her pure white dress. Her eyes, a gentle shade of blue, beamed kindly upon the little girl.

"What can I do for you, my dear child?" she inquired. Eagerly, Dorothy recounted her entire tale to the Witch: the cyclone that had whisked her away to the wondrous Land of Oz, her fortuitous encounters with her loyal companions, and the extraordinary adventures they had experienced.

"My foremost desire now," she added, "is to return to Kansas, for I fear Aunt Em must be tormented by dreadful thoughts of my well-being. Her distress would surely lead her to don mourning attire, and unless the crops fare better this year than they did last, I fear Uncle Henry cannot bear such expenses."

"Bless your dear heart," Glinda responded, "I am certain I can reveal a way for you to journey back to Kansas." Pausing momentarily, she added, "However, if I do assist you, you must surrender the Golden Cap to me."

"Willingly!" exclaimed Dorothy without hesitation

"Willingly!" exclaimed Dorothy without hesitation. "Indeed, it holds no value for me now, and once it is in your possession, you shall command the Winged Monkeys on three separate occasions."

"And I believe I shall require their services exactly those three times," replied Glinda with a smile. Dorothy then handed over the Golden Cap, and the Witch turned to the Scarecrow, inquiring, "What shall you do once Dorothy has left the land of Oz?"

"I shall return to the Emerald City," he replied with confidence. "For I have been appointed its ruler by the great and powerful Oz himself, and the people hold me in high regard. The only quandary that troubles me is how to traverse the treacherous hill of the Hammer-Heads."

"Fear not, for by utilizing the powers of the Golden Cap, I shall command the Winged Monkeys to carry you safely to the gates of the Emerald City," declared Glinda. "It would be a disservice to deprive the people of such a remarkable ruler."

"Am I truly remarkable?" inquired the Scarecrow, seeking reassurance.

"You are indeed extraordinary," replied Glinda. Shifting her attention to the Tin Woodman, she inquired, "And what shall become of you once Dorothy leaves this land?"

"Well, after the Wicked Witch of the West was vanquished, the Winkies appointed me as their new ruler," explained the Tin Woodman. "I pledged to return as soon as Dorothy safely arrived back home in Kansas."

"My second command to the Winged Monkeys," stated Glinda, "will be to transport you securely to the land of the Winkies. Though your brain may not possess the same physical size as the Scarecrow's, it is evident that you possess greater intellect, particularly when you are well polished. I am confident you will govern the Winkies with wisdom and competence."

Glinda then turned her gaze towards the mighty, shaggy Lion and inquired, "Once Dorothy returns to her home, what fate awaits you?"

"Beyond the hill of the Hammer-Heads," he responded, "lies a magnificent ancient forest, and all the creatures dwelling within have crowned me as their King. If only I could find my way back to that forest, I would spend my days in eternal bliss."

"For my third command to the Winged Monkeys," declared Glinda, "I shall instruct them to carry you to your cherished forest. Having depleted the Golden Cap's powers, I shall then bestow it upon the King of the Monkeys, granting him and his troop everlasting freedom."

Overwhelmed with gratitude, the Scarecrow, the Tin Woodman, and the Lion wholeheartedly thanked the benevolent Witch for her kindness. Dorothy, in awe of Glinda's beauty and goodness, exclaimed, "You are truly as virtuous as you are stunning! However, you have yet to reveal to me the means of returning to Kansas."

"The Ruby Slippers possess extraordinary powers," replied Glinda. "One of their most peculiar qualities is their ability to transport you to any location in the world in just three steps, completed in the blink of an eye. If you had known this you could have gone back to Kansas the moment you got here. Simply tap the heels together three times and command the shoes to carry you wherever your heart desires."

"If that is true," cried the child joyfully, "then I shall request their immediate assistance in carrying me back to Kansas." She embraced the Lion, planting a kiss on his majestic head, while gently patting his massive frame. She then hugged the Tin Woodman, taking care not to disrupt his joints, as tears welled up in her eyes. Instead of kissing the Scarecrow's painted face, she clutched his soft, stuffed body tightly, realizing that she too was shedding tears during this sorrowful farewell to her beloved companions.

Glinda the Good descended from her resplendent throne to bid the little girl a final farewell, and Dorothy expressed her heartfelt gratitude for the kindness shown to her friends and herself. With solemnity, Dorothy scooped up Toto in her arms, offering one last goodbye before tapping the heels of her shoes together three times, uttering the words, "Take me home to Kansas!"

 With solemnity, Dorothy scooped up Toto in her arms, offering one last goodbye before tapping the heels of her shoes together three times, uttering the words, "Take me home to Kansas!"

In an instant, she was whirling through the air, the wind rushing past her ears with incredible speed. The Ruby Slippers propelled her forward in just three strides, and before she knew it, she found herself in a Kansas field. As she lay there with her eyes wide open, Toto faithfully by her side, Dorothy sat up and surveyed her surroundings. Although it was the same land as before, from Dorothy's perspective, the world of Kansas had transformed. No longer did it appear dull and gray; instead, it shimmered with vibrant colors and newfound sparkle.

Soon, Dorothy and Toto arrived at their farm. The tornado had wreaked havoc upon their humble abode, leaving the barn in ruins. Uncle Henry, amidst the repairs, was constructing a new house to replace the one blown to the Land of Oz by the fierce twister. Aunt Em emerged from the barn as Dorothy caught sight of her.

"Aunt Em!" Dorothy called out, her voice filled with excitement.

"Dorothy!" cried Aunt Em, rushing to embrace the girl. "We have been frantically searching for you, my dear," her Aunt exclaimed, tears of relief streaming down her face.

Uncle Henry, witnessing the heartfelt reunion between Dorothy and Aunt Em, hurriedly joined in. "Dorothy, we had nearly lost hope of ever finding you," he declared, casting a glance at Toto. "Where have you two been?"

"In the Land of Oz, Uncle Henry," the girl replied, as they all turned to make their way into the partially constructed house.