Chapter XVII The Cowardly Lion becomes King of the Beasts

After descending from the towering China Wall, the intrepid travelers found themselves in an inhospitable land, teeming with treacherous bogs and marshes, concealed beneath a dense cover of towering, unruly grass. The ground proved treacherous, making it a challenge to navigate without stumbling into muddy holes. Nevertheless, with cautious steps, they managed to forge ahead, overcoming the perilous terrain until they reached solid footing. Yet, the landscape here appeared even more untamed, beckoning them into a dense forest where massive, ancient trees loomed larger than any they had ever laid eyes upon.

"Behold, this forest is an absolute marvel," declared the Lion, his eyes filled with unbridled delight as he surveyed his surroundings. "Never before have my senses been graced with such exquisite beauty."

"It seems rather gloomy to me," remarked the Scarecrow skeptically.

"Nonsense!" retorted the Lion. "I would gladly make this enchanting forest my eternal abode. Feel the supple, dried leaves beneath your feet, and marvel at the lush, verdant moss clinging to these ancient giants. Surely, no creature of the wild could desire a more pleasant dwelling."

"Perhaps there are wild beasts lurking within these woods," pondered Dorothy.

"Undoubtedly," replied the Lion, "yet I perceive no sign of their presence."

They ventured deeper into the forest until twilight cast its shadow, rendering further progress impossible. Dorothy, Toto, and the Lion settled down to rest, while the Woodman and the Scarecrow stood watch, as was their custom. With the arrival of dawn, they resumed their journey. Before long, a low rumble, like the growling of countless untamed beasts, reached their ears. Toto whimpered slightly, but the others remained unafraid, steadfastly following the well-trodden path until they emerged into a clearing where the representatives of a number of creatures had congregated. A tiger, an elephant, a bear, a fox, and a myriad of other animals from the pages of natural history stood united. For a fleeting moment, Dorothy's heart trembled with trepidation. However, the Lion explained that the animals had gathered for a meeting, their snarls and growls betraying their deep distress.

As he spoke, several beasts caught sight of the Lion, causing the vast assembly to fall silent as if by some mystical enchantment

As he spoke, several beasts caught sight of the Lion, causing the vast assembly to fall silent as if by some mystical enchantment. The tiger approached the Lion and bowed, addressing him with reverence, "Hail, O King of Beasts! You have arrived in the nick of time, poised to vanquish our enemy and restore peace to this forest's creatures."

"What plagues you, my friends?" inquired the Lion calmly.

"We face a dire threat," responded the tiger. "A fearsome adversary has recently invaded our domain. It is an enormous creature resembling a gargantuan spider, boasting a body as colossal as an elephant and legs as long as mighty tree trunks. With its eight elongated limbs, the monster prowls through the forest, snatching animals in its grasp, dragging them to its gaping maw, and devouring them like a spider ensnaring its prey. None of us are safe while this ferocious beast roams, and so we convened this gathering to determine how to protect ourselves. And then, you appeared among us."

The Lion pondered for a moment. "Are there any other lions within these woods?" he inquired.

"No," replied the tiger. "They have all fallen victim to the monster's insatiable appetite. Besides, none of them were nearly as majestic and brave as you."

"If I were to vanquish your enemy, would you pledge your loyalty and bow before me as the King of the Forest?" asked the Lion confidently.

"Indeed, we would gladly do so," affirmed the tiger, as a resounding roar echoed from the other creatures. "We will!"

"Where can I find this great spider of yours?" inquired the Lion.

"Yonder, among the oak trees," pointed the tiger with his mighty paw.

"Take good care of my companions," commanded the Lion, "for I shall venture forth to confront this monstrous adversary."

Bidding his friends farewell, the Lion strode away with pride, ready to engage in a fierce battle. The great spider lay slumbering when the Lion discovered it, its repulsive appearance causing his nose to wrinkle in disgust. Its legs were indeed as long as the tiger had described, and its body covered in coarse, black hair. A massive mouth, equipped with sharp teeth a foot in length, protruded from its grotesque form. However, its head connected to the pudgy body by a slender neck, akin to the waist of a wasp. This provided the Lion with a crucial insight into the creature's vulnerability. Knowing it would be easier to confront the spider while it slept, he leaped upon its back with a mighty spring, delivering a single blow from his formidable paw armed with razor-sharp claws. The spider's head detached from its body, and as the Lion descended, he watched the creature's long legs cease their convulsions, confirming its demise.

 The spider's head detached from its body, and as the Lion descended, he watched the creature's long legs cease their convulsions, confirming its demise

Returning to the clearing where the forest's beasts anxiously awaited, the Lion proclaimed with pride, "You need no longer fear your enemy!"

In response, the creatures bowed before the Lion, acknowledging him as their King. He assured them that he would return to reign over them once Dorothy embarked on her journey back to Kansas, ensuring their continued safety and prosperity.