fluffy

The heist had been successful, the sapphire necklace that was coveted in the particular family we stole from that day was in the Crow Club's possession. It was honestly a good day for me, up until the moment I walked into my room in the Slat. I expected my partner, (Y/N), to be in my room, like she always was at this hour, waiting for me to return from whatever heist I had planned. But I did not expect to find her sitting on the wood floor, a sopping wet creature in her lap, squirming. 

Both her and the dog, as I soon realized, looked up at me like they’d just been caught by the authorities, blinking up at me. The puppy whose coat was covered in mud stayed perfectly still for a moment before sinking back into (Y/N), like it was afraid of me. 

I set my hat and cane down on the bed, shaking my head while pulling my gloves off, “I don’t have the energy for your weird shenanigans tonight, (Y/N).” It was very common, unfortunately, so much so that it didn’t even surprise me when she would bring home animals she found just lurking around the streets of Ketterdam. She’d brought home bunnies, rats, cats, even a pig once, and she never told me where exactly she’d found it. 

“Oh, but Kaz, look how cute he is!” (Y/N) exclaimed, I fought a smile at her tone. Even when she brought home stinking, grimey animals, I couldn’t help my fondness for her. “I’m sorry you came home to this, I’m gonna give him a bath, I promise.”

“Sweetheart, I really don’t care,” I told her passively. Setting the sapphire necklace on my desk and pulling papers out of my drawers that I needed to look over for the next heist. “It’s leaving though, right? You’re gonna take it somewhere that isn’t here?”

“Yes, Kaz,” she assured me, “just like always.” She picked the puppy up off the floor and stood, holding it close while it placed its paws on her shoulders. “How did the heist go?”

I gestured my hand to the necklace, “fine.”

She smiled widely at me, although there was absolutely no reason why she would, no one ever found me so amusing, she was an anomaly, really. “Well, I want you to eat and get into bed within the hour."

“Okay,” I sighed, toying with the papers and shoving them around on my desk to make room for the necklace in the center. 

“I mean it, Kaz,” she told me sternly, a soft smile still on her face. “I want you to have something to eat before bed, not just scraps, make yourself something. If I hear your stomach growl once tonight I will drag you out of bed and force feed you.”

I chuckled softly at her threat, I knew she’d make good on it if I didn’t do as she said. “Alright dear, I promise, I will. Scout’s honor.” I placed my hand over my heart. 

She shook her head, “you have no honor, don’t give me that weak promise. Just do as I say.” Then she walked into the bathroom, leaving me with a large smile that I’d never allow her to see. 

I did as she said, I ate and got into bed while listening to her softly talking to the puppy she was bathing in the bath. Eventually she quieted down and I heard the bathtub drain, then after about twenty minutes, the bed dipped down beside me. 

I felt (Y/N) snuggle up against my shirt covered back, but something else there too. I felt the puppy in between us while she rested her forehead on my back. I looked back at her over my shoulder, “sweetheart.” I began. 

“I think we have to keep him,” she whispered carefully. 

I sighed, apprehension seizing me. I glanced down at the puppy again, which was sleeping peacefully in her arms. “(Y/N), I don’t know.” I shut my eyes for a second, “it’s too fluffy, and furry, it’s gonna get hair everywhere, on my clothes.” I stared down at the white furred puppy, “I wear black everyday, sweetheart, it’s gonna get-”

“Please, Kaz?” She asked in that sweet voice she knew I couldn’t resist if I tried, “baby, I’m afraid I’ve grown attached to the poor thing. Please baby, can we keep him?”

I turned to fully face her, focusing on her face, reminding myself of all the reasons that it was a bad idea. And just like that, looking into her eyes, I was reminded not of the reasons that keeping the dog was bad. I was reminded of the reasons I loved her. Her compassion, and her kindness to everyone and everything, something that I needed to improve on. I knew where I could start though. 

“Fine,” I sighed in feigned annoyance. “But you need to keep that thing in line, alright? If it causes trouble-”

“He won’t,” she hurried to cut in. “Oh, thank you, Kaz,” she leaned in, stopping with her lips hovering above mine, waiting for my permission. She pressed her lips to mine at my nod, laying her hand on my cheek. The kiss lasted until the puppy whined and butted in, demanding his own kisses from her. 

So, we kept the puppy. And it was extremely hard to explain to everyone in the Crow Club that we now had a dog that we had no clue how to care for when they asked.