Chapter Eight: Kidnapping Alina

1 Year Ago

"We're going to change the future." The Darkling grinned at her with excitement after seeing her powers only thrive into pure magic and power. "And liberate Ravka from the darkness." The Darkling would always have her practice with him and they would do nothing else.

"It's always practice, huh? Nothing else?" Alessia sighed, leaning against the couch in her bedroom.

"I think you've been spending too much time with Nina." Aleksander smiled faintly at her behavior.

"Well, obviously, I mean, she's enlightening." Alessia joked, "Get it? Enlightening?"

"I got it, Allie. I got it." He smiled at her. "But practice makes perfect."

"Oh my god. Never say that again."

"I see you're in your rebelling age."

"You just sound like a father right now and we both know you're just like an overprotective brother to me." Alessia laughed.

"How has training been with Zoya?" He asked her.

"She's gotten mad because I've kicked her ass a few times, but I'm still kind of proud because she's the best one there and she's a year older than me." Alessia shrugged.

"And how is Finn's training?"

"Finn left, remember?"

"Oh, yes. Someone smuggled him out of here." Aleksander nodded.

"Have you found out who?"

"He was a Tidemaker. Anyone could have reached to him." Aleksander replied, "I just know it wasn't the two of us."

"As do I. I know you would never put Grisha into harm's way."

------------------

"Alessia!" Jesper whispered.

"Hm?" Alessia replied, staring at the Little Palace.

"You okay?" Jesper asked her.

"Yeah, just a lot of memories here." Alessia shrugged, glancing up at the Little Palace, seeing the stablehand, remembering how much time she had spent locked up here.

"Hey, you'll be fine, we'll protect you." Jesper grabbed her arm, stopping her from walking away as he assured her that she was safe.

Alessia nodded, still uncertain of how they would be able to protect her from something like this. No one could. She remembered how secure the Little Palace was, and if he saw her here, she would never be able to make it out.

"No guns, no knives, no weapons of any kind." The guard told the performing group, the Conductor, and the crows that decided to come with the performing group. They were all there except for Kaz who was finding another way to get inside the Little Palace.

Jesper smiled at the mention of no guns and even Inej had smiled at how they had said no knives when she had multiple knives along with her. Jesper wouldn't give up his guns so easily.

"Punishment for violation of these rules ranges from being fired to being fired upon. Now, do we all understand these rules?" Jesper smiled, knowing that he wasn't going to follow any of those rules.

Before anyone could respond to the question that was asked of the guard, people started to scream and they all saw the commotion that was behind them. There were multiple caravans some feet away from the gate.

A man was dragged out of one of the caravans. "The Sun Summoner! I just wanted to see her!" He rushed towards the gates and Alessia flinched, stepping backward towards Jesper, who supported her, holding his arm out in front to protect her.