2. Someone to stay

{1 week later}

"So. Do you two have the divorce papers?" I asked the two of them.

"Yeah. But- We have to finalize a few things. Just from a phycologist perspective we wanted to know how to help Jacob through it." Laurie said.

I took a glance at Andy who was staring longingly at me.

"If I was going through this I would do three things. One, assure him it's not his fault. Two, help him through any emotions. Three. Tell him that he is loved. This is hard for kids. Now tell me. Why do you two want a divorce?" I asked.

They looked at each other.

"You wanna talk about it?" Andy asked and sat back.

"Not really." She said.

"Fine. We've cheated on each other. One of us more than the other." Andy said. Laurie rolled her eyes.

"Okay. Who cheated on the other more?" I asked, jotting down notes.

"I only have once" Andy said.

"I have three times." Laurie said.

I nodded softly and wrote that down. I was trying to do everything in my power to make it look like I didn't know Andy.

"Does Jacob know this?" I asked them.

"No-" Laurie said.

"Yep." Andy said. Laurie turned to him.

"What?" She asked him.

"I told him on the drive home the other day. He said he's heard us fighting about it." Andy said.

"Well did you tell him who?" She asked.

"No Laurie I did not tell him that you hooked up with my best friend and my old partner and our neighbor. Do you want me to?" He asked.

"Well you haven't even told me who you cheated with. You just said it was a therapist from Boston and it lasted for six months. Y/n do you know any female therapists from Boston?" She asked.

I looked up from my notebook.
"I can't answer questions like that." I said softly.

She stared at me.
"Where are you from?" She asked.

"New York." I said. It was true I grew up in New York and moved to Boston when I was thirteen.

"What school did you go to?" She asked. I pointed at my degrees above my head.

"nyu." I said. Also true.

"When did you move here?" She asked.

"Sixteen years ago. Right after I graduated I moved here on an internship." I said.

Damn this girl was catching on.

"Did you know my husband before this?" She asked.

Damn.

"No." I said. Thank god I was a good liar.

"What is your problem?" Andy asked her.

"What's the name of the girl." She said.

"I don't remember." He said.

"I don't believe you. It lasted six months and you can't remember her name?" She asked.

"Okay guys. This isn't what we wanted in this session is for fighting. Let's stop for today and pick up next week. You both have my office and personal number if you need me I'm always a call or text away." I said.

......................................................

{two weeks later}