TWO!

TWO!truth hurts

TWO!
truth hurts

NADINE'S HEART SEIZED almost painfully in her chest, jaw clenching at the mention of the number. Eleven. And the blonde had definitely mentioned powers. Not only did they know that Eleven had powers, they seemed comfortable with the knowledge, no room for debate.

A small girl, with rounded eyes and a button nose, sitting by herself as she plays with red building blocks. Nadine sits in a different corner of the room, back against the wall as she draws a picture of a rainbow. Eleven is small, some of the others call her weak. Nadine doesn't pay any of them any attention.

"You can say that again," Nancy almost joked, but her voice was tight with anxiety, "This whole thing feels a lot scarier when we're doing it ourselves."

Nadine looks up at a man who towers over her, his hair is white and his eyes crinkle at the corners when she does something good for him. Papa. He is harsh, but he loves them. He watches them suffer and bleed, but then gives them extra play time for their hard work.

As she lay on the floor in the back of the car, Nadine started to loose her grip on reality, eyes shut as she saw flashes of memory light up in her mind, fractures of a past she had tried so desperately to avoid.

Nadine sits on a chair that's a bit too big for her, and feels the wires stuck to her skull, a machine nearby beeping methodically. A small, wooden block sits on the table in front of her. With the encouragement of Dr Khan, she stares at it until it explodes into shards. She is still picking out splinters a week later.

Her throat had constricted almost entirely, leaving Nadine gasping for air in the back, so loud it attracted the attention of the women in the front.

"Robin, is that a person in the back of my car?!" Nancy screeched, turning to face Nadine, the car swerving as she turned back around to focus on the road.

Robin stared at Nadine in a mix of shock and horror, lips parted in bewilderment, "I think so!"

Nancy cursed loudly hands tightening around the steering wheel, "For fucks sake!"

The white, fluffy cat stares at Nadine unblinkingly, the girl frowning as she stares right back. She knows what she has to do, she just doesn't want to harm the cat in the process. With one arm outstretched, and blood trickling from her nose, the cat disappears, and there are a few moments of silence before the radio stutters to life, announcing the cat is successfully on the other side of the lab. Nadine smiles wide.

"Nancy," Robin said slowly, frown deepening as she studied the girl, still lying down on the floor. Her chest was heaving sporadically, almost panting her way through sobs, entire body shaking violently, "Nancy I think you need to pull over."