Prologue

"Goodbye, Elizabeth. Mamá will not be long. Te amo, mija." Maria Francesca bent down and cooed over her daughter whose small, pudgy hands clung unto her nursemaid's calloused one. She peppered the 4-year-old's face with soft kisses before standing tall and smiling warmly. "She will want to see the trees today, Charlotte."

"Yes, your grace." The nursemaid curtsied, prompting the little girl to curtsy clumsily to her mother.

"Papá will bring home flowers for you, little darling." The duke kissed his daughter's forehead and tickled her soft cheeks, which earned him a joyful squeal and giggle. The little girl bounced on her feet as she thought of all the colorful flowers she might have.

Maria Francesca's smile grew bigger and her heart swelled as her daughter waved her hand to their leaving carriage. They were off to see their other two children, Henry and Peter, who were staying at the boarding school in London.

That afternoon, just as the duchess reminded Charlotte, Elizabeth ran freely to the line of newly awakened trees that stood between the woods and the Blenheim Palace. All the snow had finally melted away and the birds are back to chirping. The green leaves of the trees were as lively as ever.

The little girl leaped over the overgrown roots and moved her arms up and down. "Look, Lottie!" She ran around the blanket that was laid out for their picnic, "I'm a bird!"

Charlotte looked up from the basket of luncheon she packed for them and smiled softly at Elizabeth. "You love birds, don't you, dear Lizzy?"

"Yes! They can fly everywhere they want to go!" Elizabeth jumped in an attempt to catch the little bird that was pecking at the grass. "They are free! Malaya!"

The nursemaid motioned with her hand for Elizabeth to come near. "And where would you like to go?" She patted the space next to her.

Elizabeth laid down beside Charlotte and smiled, her eyes dancing from one tree top to another. "To 'enry's school. To mamá's 'ouse in London." She turned to look at Charlotte who was taking out the finger sandwiches they will share. "Why can't I be malaya like 'enry and Petey?"

Charlotte patted down Elizabeth's messy hair with gentle hands. "When you're a big girl, you shall be as free as you can be, just like Henry and Petey."

"When will I be a big girl?"

"In a few years, dear Lizzy. But you shan't be in a hurry to grow up. Being little is the best time you'll ever have." Charlotte nodded encouragingly. She passed a tea plate with a slice of cucumber sandwich.

Elizabeth took the tea plate and ate quietly, looking up at the sky and watching the trees. After some time, when Charlotte was packing their picnic, Elizabeth sighed in disappointment. "It's already been a few years and I'm still little, Lottie."

Charlotte chuckled and placed Elizabeth on a soft patch of grass so she could fold the blanket. Elizabeth kneeled and pulled at the grass. She spotted a tiny boot behind the bushes. Looking back to Charlotte to see if she was looking, Elizabeth crawled under the bush to get the boot.

But the boot moved and hid behind a tree trunk. Elizabeth gasped, "A fairy boot." She told herself.

"Elizabeth, come back." Charlotte called out and moved toward her. The little girl quickened her crawling until she was past the bush and tree line. "Do not take another step, young lady!" Charlotte called out in a panic, rushing over to the little girl, tearing the hem of her dress in the process.

The boot disappeared into the woods and only left behind a small rustling of leaves. Elizabeth did not dare take another step, for fear of being scolded and having her friend, Lottie in trouble with her mamá. Charlotte placed her hands under the little girl's arms and lifted her to hold her securely. The nursemaid muttered many things, mostly in relief and some in worry.

Once they were on the grassy part of the estate, she set Elizabeth down and kneeled in front of her. "You mustn't run away from Lottie to go where she cannot find you, Lizzy. The woods are dangerous." Elizabeth stared up at Charlotte to observe her furrowed eyebrows and widened eyes.

"But there was a fairy boot. I wanted to catch the fairy."

"What fairy boot?" Charlotte glanced back past the bushes while Elizabeth told her about the boot that moved away. "We shall tell your papá about this fairy boot," Charlotte started, her mind filling with panic. She hurriedly picked up their basket and blanket, then carried the little girl on her hip to get inside the palace where it was safe. "For now, you are not to follow any boot into the woods. You mustn't go anywhere without anyone you know. Do you understand?"

Elizabeth nodded, her mind wandering as she bounced up and down whenever Charlotte took a step. Charlotte asked her who the people she knew were and she answered, "Mamá, papá, 'enry, Petey, Lottie, grandmamá and Mr. Jonesie."

"Wonderful," Charlotte set her down on a wooden stool once they entered the kitchens. "You are a good girl, Lizzy. You can only go with these people, do you understand?"

"Yes, Lottie."

"It's time to clean up and get dressed, your governess will arrive and we will learn how to spin yarn and embroider." Charlotte led Elizabeth up to her room, glancing around to see if she could find the butler, Mr. Johnson, to tell him about the boot.

~ • ~

Elizabeth fell off the bed with a muffled thud. She sat up slowly and peeked over the bed to see Charlotte sleeping soundly. Elizabeth loved to cuddle with her nursemaid and wanted more of it so she pushed herself up unto the bed.

It was a quiet evening - the birds were asleep and the leaves of the trees were still. The moonlight shone through the window and drawn green drapes. As Elizabeth tossed around to push herself into the side of her nursemaid, she found herself smiling at the sight of the night sky from the window.

A movement by her bedroom door perked her ears' curious attention. Her door stood ajar where a soft, warm light passed from behind. Elizabeth slowly sat up and crawled to the foot of the bed. "Fairy," she whispered to herself. She dangled her feet at the edge, contemplating whether she should follow the glowing light. "I am not to follow any boot," she said quietly, "but I can peek at the light."

Gently, she walked across the carpet and onto the wooden floor. The opening of the door was wide enough to fit her head through and look into the hallways. There, at the far end, was the glowing light held by a fairy. "Inside the palace, I am safe." She chanted quietly to herself, reminding herself of what her mamá told her when she was scared of the massive hallways of the house.

Elizabeth held tightly onto her white nightgown's skirt, and meekly followed the fairy and her glowing light.