Chapter One

*~10 years later~*

Rapunzel and I shoved the curtains aside. "HAH! Hmmm...." Rapunzel said, shrugging lightly to the flower pot and a chamoflauged Pascal. "Well, I guess Pascal's not hiding out here," I said, smirking. Rapunzel grabbed Pascal with her hair and he shreiks. "GOTCHA! That's twenty two for us, how 'bout twenty three out of fourty five?" Rapunzel asked. Pascal shook his head. "No? Well, okay, what do you want to do?" I asked. Pascal pointed his tail outside. "Yeah, I don't think so, we like it in here and so do you," Rapunzel said. Pascal pouted. 

"Oh come on Pascal, it's not that bad in there," I laughed. "7a.m. the usual morning lineup, starting the chores I sweep 'til the floors all clean." Rapunzel sang, as she started the chores. "Polish and wax" I sang as I did the chores. "Do laundry and mop and shine up. Sweep again and by then it's like 7:15," Rapunzel and I sang. "So I'll read a book or maybe two or three," I sang. "I'll add a few more paintings to my gallery" Rapunzel sang as she painted. 

"I'll play guitar," I sang. "And knit and cook and basically," Rapunzel sang. "Wonder when will our lives begin!" We both sang. "Then after lunch, it's puzzles, and darts and baking." Rapunzel sang. "Paper-mache," I sang. "A bit of ballet, and chess!" Rapunzel sang. "Pottery, and ventriloquy, candle making," We both sang. "Then i'll stretch" Rapunzel sang. 

"Maybe sketch!" I sang. "Take a climb, sew a dress!" Rapunzel sang. "And I'll reread the books," I sang, sighing as i grabbed the books again. "If there's time to spare, I'll paint the walls some more, I'm sure there's room somewhere," Rapunzel said, sighing. "And then I'll brush and brush and brush and brush my hair," Rapunzel continued as she brushed her long hair.

 I brushed mine sighing. "Stuck in the same place we've always been. And we'll keep wondering, and wondering, and wondering... Wondering, just when will our lives begin?" we both sang. "Tomorrow night, the lights will appear. Just like they do on our birthday, each year. What is it like out there, where they glow? Now that we're older. Mother might just let us go." We sang. I sighed and slumped onto the ledge. 

"This is it. This is a very big day, Varian. I'm finally going to do it. I'm going to ask her." Rapunzel told me. I smiled at her and nodded. "RAPUNZEL! Let down your hair!" Mother said. "It's time." Rapunzel said. I shoved her towards the window 

"I know, I know. Come on, don't let her see you Pascal." Rapunzel said as she hid Pascal. "Rapunzel, I'm not getting any younger down here!" Mother said. "Coming Mother!" Rapunzel said, letting her hair down to Mother. Rapunzel pulls Mother up and said,

 "Welcome home Mother." I sighed and sat down on my bed. "Oh Rapunzel, How you manage to do that every single day without fail. It looks absolutely exhausting." Mother told her. "Oh, It's nothing," Rapunzel said. "Then I don't know why it take's so long! Oh, darling I'm just teasing," Mother told her. I growled softly but sighed. "All right...so Mother, as you know tomorrow is a very big day," Rapunzel told her. 

"Rapunzel look into that mirror, I see a strong, confident, beautiful young lady. Oh look your here too!" Mother said. Rapunzel looked down. "Oh darling I'm just teasing, stop taking everything so seriously!" Mother laughed. I scowled. "Okay, so Mother, as I was saying-" Rapunzel began but Mother cut her off again. "Flower, mother's feeling a little run down. Would you sing for me, dear? Then we'll talk." Mother said. Rapunzel smiled and nodded.

 She sat Mother down, put her hair in her lap and sat down. "Flower gleam and glow let your power shine make the clock reverse bring back what once was mine. Heal what has been hurt change the fate's design save what has been lost bring back what once was mine," Rapunzel sang quickly. "Rapunzel!" Mother scolded. 

"So, mother, earlier I was saying tomorrow's a pretty big day, and you didn't really respond, So I'm just going to tell you. It's our birthday! TADA!" Rapunzel said. I smiled. "No,no,no it cant be, i distinctly remember, your birthdays were last year," Mother said. "That's the funny thing about birthdays, they're kind of an annual thing," I said. 

"Mother, I'm turning eighteen, and Varian is turning fourteen. And we wanted to ask, what we really want for this birthday. Actually, what we've wanted for...quite a few birthdays now..." Rapunzel said. "Rapunzel please, stop with the mumbling. You know how I feel about the mumbling. Blah, blah, blah,...blah. It's very annoying. I'm just teasing, you're adorable I love you so much, darling." Mother said. I frowned.

 "We want to see the floating lights!" Rapunzel said quickly. "What?" Mother said. "We were hopping you'd take us to see the floating lights," I said. 

"Oh you mean the stars," Mother said. "That's the thing I've charted stars and they're always constant. But these, they appear every year on our birthday, Mother. Only on our birthday. And I can't help but feel that they're, They're meant for us. I need see them, Mother. And not just from my window. In person. I have to know what they are." Rapunzel told her. 

"You want to go outside? Oh, why Rapunzel. Look at you, as fragile as a flower. Still a little sapling, just a sprout. You know why we stay up in this tower," Mother sang. "I know but-" Rapuznel started. 

"That's right, to keep you safe, and sound, dear. Guess I always knew this day was coming. Knew that soon you'd want to leave the nest. Soon, but not yet." Mother continued. 

"But-" I said. 

"Shhh.. Trust me pets, Mother, knows best. Mother knows best. Listen to your mother. It's a scary world out there. Mother knows best. One way or another. Something will go wrong, I swear. Ruffians, thugs, poison ivy, quicksand. Cannibals, and snakes, the plague. Also large bugs, men with pointy teeth. And stop, no more, you'll just upset me."

 Rapunzel wrapped us in her hair and we hid

 "Mother's right here. Mother will protect you. Darlings, here's what I suggest. Skip the drama, stay with Mama. MAMA!! Knows best! Mother knows best. Take it from your mumsy. On your own, you won't survive. Sloppy, underdressed,

She sang to Rapunzel, patting her "immature, clumsy, Please, they'll eat you up, alive." She sang to me. "Gullible, nave," She continued, then went over to Rapunzel

 "positively grubby. Ditzy and a bit, well, hmm vague. Plus I believe, getting kinda chubby. I'm just saying, 'Cause I wuv you. Mother understands, Mothers here to help you. All I have is one request." We ran up to her and hugged her 

"Varian? Rapunzel?" Mother asked us. "Yes?" We asked. "Don't ever ask to leave this tower, again," She told us. "Yes, Mother," We said. "Ahh, I love you very much dears," Mother said. "We love you more," We said. "I love you most," Mother said. "Don't forget it you'll regret it, mother! Knows, best. I'll see you in a bit, my flowers!" Mother said as she climbed down the tower.