Chapter 4:A life to live

...

Arturia had still her trembling hands on the sides of her head. So… she had apparently survived? Or was she in the Heroic Spirits' realm? But if she was, what was he doing there?

She slowly lowered her hands, forcing them to stop trembling. Weak she may feel and be, but she was the King of Knights and she would hold her head high.

Looking at the King of Heroes again, she addressed him.

"What is this place, Archer?" Her voice was slightly hoarse, but she was pleased to find out that her tone was not wavering.

The arrogant man raised an eyebrow. Even after waking up naked in an unknown place, with him of all people beside her – she had made him wait, even if not for long –, she didn't take a confused or subdued pose. She didn't sit with her shoulders slumped, and her gaze was not submissive. She had the stance of a true king even in such an unfamiliar situation.

So far, she acted and talked as Saber would.

He allowed the briefest flicker of a smile to ghost on his lips, before conceding her an answer.

"Hmph. You should have recognized the place. We are in the Einzbern Castle outside Fuyuki."

Arturia didn't change her expression except for a slight furrow of her brow.

"I thought that the castle suffered extensive damage when Lancer's Master attacked Kiritsugu."

Gilgamesh was more amused than annoyed at her questioning his words. He decided he could give her an answer, again.

"The damage did not reach the upper floors."

Arturia gave him a slight nod, understanding.

Suddenly she realized that she wasn't the only one who was naked. Archer had something draped around him, similar to the blanket that was on her, but she could have sworn that he was wearing nothing underneath. While she mentally rolled her eyes, she became aware of something else.

No one was supplying her with mana.

She was no longer a spirit. She had a human body.

Her eyes widened at the realization. She immediately looked up at Archer, for the first time losing her composure. She could still sense him, but he very obviously wasn't a Servant anymore.

"Archer, what is the meaning of this? How are we… in real human bodies?"

Gilgamesh smirked.

"I assume it's the Grail's black mud's doing… Arturia."

He observed the King of Knights with satisfaction. She seemed to be herself… she almost startled at his casual way of addressing her by her name, and all her actions up until that moment were exactly the ones he would have expected from Saber.

Gilgamesh felt reassured. If she had been taken over by the Grail, it would have meant that she was weaker than what he had given her credit for.

He gave her another one of his best smirks.

"So, how did you enjoy meeting the true nature of that filthy cup, King of Knights?"

Arturia gave him one long, measuring stare, staying silent for a while. She chose to be diplomatic.

"If you are talking about a strange, malicious and dark entity, I did make its acquaintance. I cannot say that the experience of meeting something that enjoys feeding on despair was a welcome one."