Chapter 12:Closeness and departure

...

The two kings landed in the perpetual snow that surrounded the Einzbern residence. They were quite close to the gates, therefore they reached them on foot quickly.

This time, when the two homunculi that stood guard appeared, they did not attack them, instead, they simply escorted them inside. The monarchs were informed that the head of the Einzbern family was unfortunately very busy at the moment and could not properly greet them; since neither Arturia nor Gilgamesh were interested in seeing Jubstacheit, they didn't comment on it.

Arturia asked about Illya, and the servants told her she was studying in the usual living room. She thanked them with her normal politeness and immediately went there, followed by Gilgamesh.

As she opened the door, she only had the time to see a flash of white hair and hear a cry of, "Arturia!" before a small figure jumped into her arms to embrace her tightly.

Illya had recognized her footsteps and, overjoyed, had instantly run to her.

However, she was an eleven-year-old girl – who had also grown in the few months in which they hadn't seen her – and she was therefore not light… that, combined with the speed she had gained by running towards the door, was quite a weight. Arturia was strong, but she was petite, and she would have fallen backwards with that 'assault'… if behind her there hadn't been Gilgamesh, who promptly caught her before she could hit the floor.

The King of Knights felt surprisingly strong arms going around her hips from behind to steady her, while at the same time smaller arms went around her shoulders from the front to hug her closely.

Automatically, her own arms went to hold the little girl, who didn't seem to want to let go in the foreseeable future. All the while, Arturia was distinctly aware of the muscular chest of the man she was leaning against… and who didn't seem to want to let go any time soon, either.

However, the position was not the most comfortable one for her, who was not used to physical contact with any person, let alone two at the same time.

Therefore, she steadied herself and gently leaned forward to put the girl back on the floor. As Illya slowly began to let her go, she felt the King of Heroes's grip – somehow reluctantly – releasing her as well.

Now that she was in front of her, Arturia could observe the girl. The white-haired daughter of Irisviel looked fine and healthy, and she seemed to have grown a little bit. She was currently smiling widely at her and, even if she was no longer embracing her, she still held one of her hands. While looking excited and happy at seeing them again, she also seemed slightly scared and doubtful.

Arturia understood immediately. She gave the girl a small, sincere smile, and squeezed her hand gently.

"I had promised we would come back, Illya, and we have kept the promise."

The smile finally reached the girl's eyes and she embraced the King of Knights again.

"I'm so happy to see you, Arturia!"

Releasing the woman, she did something neither of the two adults expected: she turned to Gilgamesh and, since she couldn't reach higher, embraced him around the waist.

"I'm happy to see you too, Gilgamesh!"

Both kings were too stunned by her actions to either stop or reprimand her. Oblivious to their reaction, Illya grasped one hand of each of them and guided them to the couches. She made them both sit down on one sofa and then snuggled in-between them.